TradeStation 8 vs. 2000i

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by butch1130, Jan 28, 2005.

1. mokwit

mokwit

You have to invest the time to learn how to write a simple moving average crossover system and optimise it, but after that its all gravy. The book/CD/seminar goldmine awaits you.

#11     Dec 19, 2005
  2. Forget it, it's not lat 90s. These days most traders can code
    simple ideas like building color coded indicators and studies, coming up with system that can adapt their "trading style & position sizing" to changing market conditions is painintheass

If one don't have good track record, no one will pay a dime
    for his stuff, but if one ever become profitable consistant,
    he can easily rise millions trading assets from intuitional money

#12     Dec 19, 2005
  3. Does Tradestation8 support DDE links?

#13     Dec 19, 2005
  4. mmillar

mmillar

No.

But you can get data to/from Excel in real-time using 'Global Variables'.

#14     Dec 20, 2005
  5. stupid question - tradestation 2000i, how do I put my own symbols into the global server so I can use radar screen? I thought the only way it worked is if you download the stuff in it from historybank.com but after reading this thread I'm getting the feeling you can somehow manually import your own ASCII data files into it???

#15     Dec 21, 2005
  6. You can directly import a number of different formats; including ASCII.

#16     Dec 22, 2005
  7. how?

e.g., i'll start globalserver, then goto file and import, but only the 1st 3 (globalserver, server, historybank) are selectable. the rest, like ascii, are greyed out.

how do you import ascii into globalserver????

#17     Dec 23, 2005
  8. I will try to explain it later on today + screenshots. Also some practical tips.

#18     Dec 23, 2005
  9. You can only import DAILY data, not intra day data ( except for the Esignal download tool which can import from tickdata to daily data). The fact that the ASCII selection was grey was because you first have to select an item for which you want to import the data. Try as mentioned below, if you run into problems just let me know.

Read the Help files that are incorporated in the programm:

1 Click the Symbol Portfolio tab in the GlobalServer.
    2 Click a symbol for which you want to import data.
    3 Use the File - Import Data - ASCII format menu sequence.
    4 The Location drop-down menu contains all the directories containing the data type you want to import. The symbol list at the bottom of the dialog box displays the symbols corresponding to that directory that can be imported. If the directory containing your symbol is displayed, continue with Step 5. If the directory containing the symbol you want to import is not displayed you must add it to this list before importing the data. Click Add to browse for the directory containing the data you want to import or click Scan (if available for the third-party format selected) to scan a specific drive for the data format you are importing. All directories containing the data you want to import are added to the Location drop-down list.

5 Select the directory containing the symbol you want to add from the Location drop-down list.
    6 Click the symbol you want to import.
    7 When the files are listed in the Location edit box, click the file you want to import
    8 Click OK.
    9 Click the field order from the Field Order list and date format from the Date Format list for the data you are importing.
    10 Click OK.

{** © 1987, 1999 Omega Research, Inc. **}

Perhaps a better solution is this:
    http://www.tradestation.org/

For 69$ you can download unlimited intraday and daily data. Even several times a day so that you don't have to wait till the close but can make refreshed charts several times a day. I knwo someone who uses this system and is very satisfied. It's something between realtime and end of day.

#19     Dec 23, 2005
  10. that's weird - my 'symbol collection template' (Which is what i assume symbol portfolio tab is), is greyed out when i start it :(

#20     Dec 24, 2005