Tradestation 8.0 - what a disapointment

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ddog, Mar 2, 2004.

1. KK70

KK70

MichaelD:

Did TS have automated trading for only 1 strategy per account till now then?
    Thanks

#31     Mar 4, 2004
  2. ddog

ddog

MichaelD:

Thank you. This is a huge improvement.

#32     Mar 4, 2004
  3. abogdan

abogdan

Good improvement. But still, Bid/Ask are necesary for accurate back testing.

#33     Mar 4, 2004
  4. MichaelD,

Is the chart freezing problem, especially when the volume picks up, fixed in TS 8?

Thanks,

Chinook

#34     Mar 4, 2004
  5. ddog

ddog

"Good improvement. But still, Bid/Ask are necesary for accurate back testing."

Yes. But for discretionary traders who want their exits automated (trailing stops, profit targets, stop loss) it will make trading a lot easier.

#35     Mar 4, 2004
  6. MichaelD

MichaelD TradeStation Securities

Latency is something that has been of great concern to us at TradeStation. Because of this, we have taken aggressive action. Historically, there have been 4 general areas that are potential contributors to latency. Below is a listing of each as well as a summary of the steps that we’ve taken to remedy each situation:

1. Latency originating from the provider. TradeStation had been primarily using a third-party vendor as the source of all real-time data. Starting in mid-2003 and ending in late 2003, we began making our transition to using direct exchange feeds. Both we and our users consider this move to be a very successful one that has noticeably improved the speed and reliability of our data delivery.

2. Latency originating on our network. This is a pretty broad category, but it includes any bottlenecks related to our network, servers, or uplink (outgoing connectivity). We constantly monitor our network utilization and routinely increase the capacities of our network, servers, and uplink as needed.

3. Latency exhibited by the TradeStation client applications as a result of inefficiency. Starting with TradeStation 7.2 and continuing with TradeStation 8, we have been giving a lot of attention to improving the efficiency of the client software. The efficiency improvements have been very substantial in this regard.

4. Latency that exists as a result of inadequate or misconfiguration on the end-user’s network or computer. TradeStation is a very powerful application, and sometimes people attempt to use it in a way that their computer cannot handle. We give minimum and recommended hardware requirements. But considering the virtually limitless power of TradeStation, some people may be using the application in such a way that the demand on their computer may be too great.

We sincerely believe that we have made tremendous improvements on multiple fronts to the overall speed and efficiency of TradeStation. If you are experiencing any latency or freezing, please contact our Technical Support Team.

#36     Mar 5, 2004
  7. MichaelD,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I have seen great improvements in latency since last summer. I don't have any latency problems anymore.

However, there still seems to be some problems with occasional freezing especially with NQ/ES charts. I'm in touch with technical support about this. Perhaps it's related to my own custom EL code or it's TS software/network problem or a combination of both. Anyway, the good thing is that Tradestation is listening to its customers and improving its product.

Thanks,

Chinook

#37     Mar 6, 2004
  8. Luto

Luto

A feature to add to the list would be the ability to do some performance testing of EL code. Check with the developer team, I would not be suprised if there were an existing tool that allowed one to check performance with simulatated fast flowing "real time "data bursts

I.e. if you developing fixes for this issue, the tools for testing of the fixes would actually make cool "features".

Or at a minimum provide guidelines and examples of things to do and not to do for those who are not heavily experienced with developing code bases.

One could go a long way with documentation, which TS has always been rather , em light...

All software should have performance, stress and load testing that is PUBLISHED. If they don't do it they should, if they don't publish it, at least internally, they should. That what allows users to have confidence in their tools.

Corel draw is an example of a tool that does NOT deal with stress (Asking the program to do things while denying it the resources) very well. MS Word is an example of a program that does handle stress well. Not perfect but very well.

Cheers!

#38     Mar 7, 2004
  9. Gozar

Gozar

Does anyone have a suggestion as to :
    I am interested in trading options (electronically if possible) and be able to test strategies/systems before hand...

If tradestation is not what a professional trader should choose, I am wondering what software or front end/broker setup would one want to go with?

Thanks for any suggestions, appreciate any help

#39     Apr 27, 2004