Tradestation 8.0 - what a disapointment

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ddog, Mar 2, 2004.

1. abogdan

abogdan

If our little flea-company could supply our customers with B/A data for simulation sure enough TS can do it! They are just to FAT! Well, WLD will bite them in the ASS! You'll see.

#11     Mar 2, 2004
  2. ddog

ddog

Yes, I agree. If WLD comes up with this feature they will have it made. If you read through the forums at Tradestation it seems this is the feature everyone is after more than anything else. But TRAD response is "being considered for a future release". What a joke.

#12     Mar 2, 2004
  3. seems like Omega/TS is rapidly becoming the "Microsoft" of trading world. Let's wait and who'll be Linux this time :D

#13     Mar 2, 2004
  4. MichaelD

MichaelD TradeStation Securities

ddog,

In addition to the improvements listed in the press release you quoted, we made several improvements to the Strategy Automation Engine in TradeStation 8. These improvements were designed to improve synchronization between strategy trades and real-world trades.

Below is a list of the improvements:

Better synchronization between strategy trades and real-world trades -

TradeStation 8 now gives you the option of having a strategy report a non-historical trade as filled only if that trade was filled in the real-world. This will greatly reduce instances where your strategy order is shown as filled on the chart but the order was never filled in the real-world.

Enhancements to Convert Limit to Market' Setting -

The setting that allows you to convert unfilled limit orders to market orders can now be enabled on an individual chart basis. In addition, you can have a different setting for your entry and exit orders.

Enhancement for Futures Traders-

When reversing a position your strategy no longer waits to exit the original position before initiating the new position. Since both orders are sent at the same time your position can be reversed more quickly and slippage may be reduced.

It's now possible to automate multiple strategies on multiple charts using the same futures symbol without needing to trade each chart in a different account.

Enhancements for Options Traders-

We now support automation on equity options and index options.

Other Enhancements -

When replacing limit entry orders we now wait for the original order to be canceled before sending the new order. This helps to prevent the replacement order from being rejected due to buying power constraints.

Improved handling of internet disruptions that were causing automation to become disabled.

There are many other enhancements not listed in the press release. For a complete list of new features in TradeStation 8 please visit http://www.tradestationsupport.com/whats_new

#14     Mar 2, 2004
  5. nitro

nitro

Huh?

AFAIK, TS has never had access to the Bid/Ask.

nitro

#15     Mar 2, 2004
  6. nitro

nitro

I hope you implemented that by having the market trade THRU you limit order, otherwise, you still would not be sure.

The other way it to be able to add buy at offer and sell at bid to EL and for EL to monitor the B/A.

nitro

#16     Mar 2, 2004
  7. I think you guys are being a little overly-harsh on Tradestation. Tradestation has some shortcomings, but so does WLD.

However, for my money, Tradestation is a much better tool. The workspace is less cluttered with Tradestation. The drawing tools are more useful.

The biggest difference is the programming language. While WLD may offer more power, it is a pain in the ass to use. I picked up Easylanguage in about a week; I spent a month with WLD and was barely able to make a simple MA crossover system.

I wish I could do portfolio testing in TS, but I also understand RINA Systems (as well as many others) has a strong business as a TS third party developer, so this will probably never happen. But even so, I'll still stay with TS, because I want to learn the markets, not some programming language.

As a side note, I'm a swing/position trader, not a daytrader; consequently I don't really care about B/A strategy capabilities.

#17     Mar 2, 2004
  8. jebara

jebara Guest

Hey tradestation finally added the ability to place option trades online. They seem to be one of the few companies that has been continously upgrading there product, and i think tradestation 8 will be one of the best programs to trade on and test strategys.

#18     Mar 2, 2004
  9. Try backtesting a system over 500 days of 10-minute data in TradeStation - it's about 100 times slower than version 4. All the good developers left anyways, and all that's left is a hack.

#19     Mar 2, 2004
  10. IMHO, the single best feature tradestation could add is a chart option to update on every change to 'insidebid' and 'insideask'. currently, you can plot these, but on a one tick chart, the EL will only run when a trade is made, not when the inside spread changes, which can be a real nuisance. Also seems like Bid and ask size (currently unavailable) would bring many people in... whats the big deal adding this

It would also be nice if when TS finally gets off its butt and adds portfolio level, they don't make it an extra add-on fee like the matrix..... f-that. I will not buy.

WL has far better metrics. Why not at least create the appearance of innovation if not the actual spirit of it. How hard could a few metrics be to add. Study your competition and keep abreast. A good developer could write these in a few days.

they're doing a great job of luring in typical ES scalp away the account types with glitzy shit like the matrix, but doing nothing for the serious systems people.

...not to mention the scant coverage of foreign markets

#20     Mar 2, 2004