Tradestation 2000 needs admin privelege to run

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by maxpi, Apr 9, 2006.

1. maxpi

maxpi

I try to set up security in my trading computers. One important thing is to run in an account that does not have administrative privileges. Hackers have a harder time changing anything in that case. When I set up TS8 I found that the user account had to have superuser privileges and now I am setting up TS2000 and I find that it needs administrative privileges. Is there a way I can work around this and get TS2k to run in an account without full admin access?

2. Dont' know about TS2k but for TS 8.x, install the program in the SharedDocuments directory. Then you'll be able to run it with a regular log-on. The reason you have to have admin rights is because the program puts everything in the "program files" directory including files it has to write to during program operation. By taking everything out of that directory and putting it in a directory that regular users can access you'll solve that problem.

But, you'll still need admin rights to install the program in the first place.

-eLindy

3. maxpi

maxpi

Thanks. Is document sharing another security problem, or is that about sharing docs over a LAN? I don't have a LAN going here actually and I don't worry about security problems where somebody boots my computer with a disc and gets access that way. I also only use one login at a time so I don't need to be concerned about a hacker getting into the admin area by hacking into the user area. Actually I probably have little reason to worry about security at all, it just bugs me that I can get beat by some low life hacker.