Tradescape--getting better?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by mjt, Jun 14, 2001.

1. mjt

mjt

I haven't heard any talk on Tradescape lately. If you are using them, is their reliability improving? I'm going to keep their software running in the background for a while just to see if it freezes or crashes. I normally wouldn't consider using them, but my quest for a reliable broker with a smart limit order has been fruitless.

2. Klaorman

Klaorman

Looks good to me recently, although I haven't used it much since I'm trying to learn and use Graybox. Like you, I keep it up in the background just in case Graybox crashes.

3. mjt

mjt

So it doesn't freeze on you or anything? Were you trading with it fairly regularly before using Graybox?

4. Klaorman

Klaorman

Notice I only said it looks good "recently." I've experienced freezes many times since I started with them in Dec. 2000. "Many" does mean less than, oh, 20, though. Sometimes I can't even login to their website. The last 3 or 4 weeks have been pretty smooth. I stay with them because I trade small shares and like the teeny commissions and easy interface. If the software crashes and I'm in a trade, I can quickly reach someone on their trading desk and they'll get me out fast.

5. mjt

mjt

I'm going to have to answer my own question here with a no based on what I'm seeing right now. It's about 8 minutes into the open, I'm watching JNPR on Graybox, Redi Plus and Tradescape all at the same time. Tradescape appears to be about a full minute behind the other two, which are updating almost exactly in step with each other. I've watched it during slower market times, and it seems to be only about a second behind. I'd hate to be trading with Tradescape during any kind of a fast market.

6. mjt

mjt

I just noticed in the message bar at the top that they're acknowledging that they're having a level 2 quote delay problem. I'm not sure how often this happens. I do remember that yesterday the charts and something else were screwed up though.

7. Klaorman

Klaorman

Yes, they've had trouble today and yesterday, but I haven't traded with them for at least the past week and a half because Graybox has been working really well, with no frozen quotes to be seen. I entered an order on Graybox today specifically targeting REDI and got an execution that was as fast as if I was hitting ISLD. It seems whenever I'd try that on Tradescape I'd rarely get a fill, as though REDI (happens with ARCA, too) quotes were illusions or maybe delayed.

8. I have tried Tradescape and have found it impossible to trade since you must cancel a prior sell before entering a new order. It takes 10 seconds or more to receive a confirm of a cancel. It is almost impossible to get out of dropping stocks quick enough.