Trades per day

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by TheDr., May 9, 2006.

1. romik

romik

3 trades on average. Averaging 1 loser, 2 wins. (mini S&P)

#11     May 10, 2006
  2. Since the brokerages only care about RT cars per day, not trades per day, why should I be any different?

Please re-read the entire thread and be sure to admonish all the others referencing RT rather than trades.

#12     May 10, 2006
  3. I trade ES.

Average 3 trades per day.

I used to espouse the idea that the trend was my friend, and averaged many more trades per day.

Now, however, I've become a trend fader, and have seen my success improve dramatically, and the frequency of my trading decrease considerably.

#13     May 10, 2006
  4. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

depends on whats happening & what markets i am trading.

i mostly trade eurofx these last few months. then i too am in the 3 trade a day category. sometimes only one, sometimes 4.

i prefer to be patient and wait for the good opportunities than throw money to my broker under various 'what if?' scenarios.

i should point out that i only trade between 7.20 am and 11.00 am cst

sometimes i will also trade from 3.00am to 6.00am cst also if something interesting is happening. if so, i will usually make 1-2 trades in this session. (now for 5 a day)

if nothing is happening early morning cst, i may trade es at the same time as ec, but this is quite rare. if i do trade es, i will watch it during full regular hours and make between 0-2 trades a day off a 30m chart. I may hold overnight if conditions merit meaning these are not really day trades.

ramble ramble ramble........

:)

#14     May 10, 2006
  5. between 1 or 2 trades per day...looking for a min of 2pts...I stop when i have reached taht objective or when i have 1 loser...

#15     May 10, 2006
  6. From other traders that I've spoken to and also from a lot of the panel here, it seems that 3 trades (if that much) a day is plenty for the mini-indices.

JMowery1987 made some really good points about the difficulties of trading them.

They tend to chop (as has been also been mentioned) so that makes them even more of a challenge if your used to trading retracements, etc.

If you have experience and a good broker (?) and a method which works for you, go for it. But if you find yourself entering more than 3 trades a day on any given day, that's a bad sign.

A lot of traders prefer to trade the YM vs. the ES because they can get better spreads and they can be more creative with their methodologies. There are a few threads here on subject.

Best Regards,

Jimmy

#16     May 10, 2006
  7. jessop

jessop

Normally 3-4 trades in ER2 (even on awesome days like 27th April it was still only 4)

I usually miss one so average is 2-3 trades.

#17     May 10, 2006
  8. On average,i`d say 2 to 3 moves a day depending on the Vol that day but being that i scale in & out with 4 lots on the YM with a max of 20 cars per the move i`m anticipating...it can take me up to as much as 10 to 15 rt`s.
    Less is more IMO..........if i hit my quota in the morning session or early afternoon,which happens more often than not,i shut it down & carry the positive mind set into tomorrows` session.

#18     May 12, 2006