TradersStudio vs TradingBlox

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dealer, Mar 31, 2006.

1. hangseng1,

How much faster is the new version? I'm looking to replace/augment my homegrown C++ testing with something that is easier to support.

Thanks,

George

#31     Apr 4, 2006
  2. I like TradersStudio. Does a lot that TradeStation doesn't. The VB-like programming language is far more extensive than EasyLanguage. Create a portfolio of similar markets and test your system across all of them. Good stuff. I trade long term with weekly data from Pinnacle data (also good) so I can't speak to the 1 minute vs. tick concerns. If you already use TradeStation, the learning curve is minimal. I give it a thumbs up.

#32     Apr 4, 2006
  3. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Thank you for your nice comments. Just wait until you see version 2.0. It 10 times more powerful that 1.3.6! and it is a free upgrade for all existing customers.

#33     Apr 6, 2006
  4. edb

edb

Hi,

I've been a user of Trading Blox (and it's relative, VeriTrader) since July 2003.

I'm pleased with it's speed and accuracy, and current ability to handle stock, futures contracts and forex portfolios simultaneously, and multiple systems simultaneously.

(It's one portfolio per system, but since you can run several systems simultaneously, you duplicate your system two more times and rename each, and assign a different portfolio to each, and run!)

As inflector noted, Trading Blox is incredibly fast. It's also accurate: 64 bit calculations. (This is on 32 bit cpu's and operating systems. I guess Trading Blox could even be faster if it were designed for 64 bit cpu's and operating systems.)

I haven't seen or used "TradersStudio", but the features sound eerily similar. Makes you wonder why "TradersStudio" and "Trading Blox" haven't joined forces?

Regarding split and dividend adjustments -- CSI Data has a feature called "unadjusted close".

So a line of data (for AA in this case) is

The fields are date, open, high, low, close, volume, and unadjusted close.

While the open-high-low-close are adjusted upward or downward because of splits and dividends, the unadjusted close gives you the price you would have seen on the day of trade (the price you'd have seen the next day in the "Wall Street Journal").

A very handy feature if you want your system to only trade stocks between $10 and $50. I use it in my Trading Blox stock systems.

-Ed

#34     Apr 8, 2006
  5. B.Willis

B.Willis

Murray,
    basically I hear only positive feedback about your software.
    Nevertheless there should be room for discussion about weaknesses, no product is perfect but can be improved continuously:
    Is TradersStudio able to backtest very big portfolios of stocks (e.g. 1000 stocks with each ten years of daily data)?
    Even the ten times faster version 2.0 should have problems if 12 intruments with 20 years of data are a problem.

If often hear that speed is the main problem of TradersStudio, because of the underlying database architecture.

#35     Apr 18, 2006
  6. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

First, you are right no product is perfect, that why at TradersStudio we take feedback from our users and are always improving the product. In terms of the speed issue, even with 1.3.6 we have customers running all 400 midcap stocks and 20 years of data.

Yes the product can always be faster and we are always looking to improve speed. If you talked to people a year or so ago version 1.2 you have old information, 1.3.6 is about 800% faster than 1.0 and 2.0 is 250% faster than 1.3.6. We also have a compiler under development, which will increase speed of some scripts by 1000%.

One of the design issues which costs us some speed is that we wanted to support "TradeStation" like variables and data streams for example, Close[2] is the close two bars back from this one. We also wanted to support writing custom functions which can be called as follows

MyRSI(Close,10)[4]

In TradersStudio if you declare a function as a bar array, you can get past values without having to write any extra logic!. This also allow us to Migrate existing TradeStation code to TradersStudio with a few mouse clicks.

We can also do adaptive systems because functions are calculated bar by bar. We are working on releasing a "Fast" version of many functions, which will not allow access to past bars, but will run faster.

In addition , if you are not a programmer we have a wizard for writing systems included in the new version, so you can write systems without any programming.

TradersStudio 2.0 can backtest intra-day strategies and apply money management to them even mixing them with end of day strategies, no other platform can do this. You can't buy any platform, which comes with the flexibility of TradersStudio in terms of developing dynamic filters and money management rules with mixed timeframes at any price.

In addition the global macro language lets you automate anything the product can do, so you can let multiple test run and save the results while you are at work or over the weekend. You can also have it print all your orders for tomorrow from even 10 different systems automatically.

TradersStudio charts are very powerful, they are not just for showing where trades are. We have all the drawing tools and over 60 built in indicators as well as the ability to write your own. In addition we have color bar, like paint bars, Mark bars and Advisors, which are like expert commentary.

We will be shipping 2.0 in a few weeks. Currently if you buy the product now at $499.00 then 2.0 is a free upgrade. In addition the cost of the real time upgrade will be only $399.00. We plan on raising the price soon.

Also existing users we be able to buy addins to TradersStudio 2.0 at a big discount . We have many addins coming out in the next month or so.

1) Cycle Studio ( Cycle based product and tools)
    2) Intermarket Divergence Pro, (Intermarket system development tools
    3) Opening range breakout tools, this includes all the code which was used in my analysis from my video. (video not included)
    4) Neural network
    5) Kernel regression

Existing users can buy the complete suite of addins for $499.00+ shipping. List price on these addins is over $900.00!.
    This pre-release offer ends soon, so you can get TradersStudio and all these addins now for under $1000.00!.

You can see if you add it all up TradersStudio is the best value of any Professional Level Trading Platform.

#36     Apr 18, 2006
  7. I'm considering purchasing tradersStudio and was wondering if any of the current users, or maybe Ruggerio, can comment on the availability of comparable features as described in ananda's post. Thanks.

Cariocas

#37     May 31, 2006
  8. Yellar

Yellar

I've been using TradingBlox since August '05 for long term system development. Its a superb piece of software and amazing value. I've run thousands of test runs (20K+ with full reporting) using different parameters to check the performance of the system I designed. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to develop their own long term trading system.

Yellar

#38     May 31, 2006
  9. taowave

taowave

I would also appreciate any responce regarding Anandas post and and if Traders Studio has simialr features

#39     May 31, 2006
  10. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

We have global macro's and addins which are being released shortly to existing customers and will ship for free with TradersStudio that give you similar functionality.

Our charts are very powerful and you can write expert commentary and click on any bar and get analysis based on your scripts. This analysis can access any of the information about the system , its trades and equity curve. You can modify these new tools since they are written in our language and add even more functionality.

TradersStudio gives you all the system development and backtesting power you would ever need while still giving you the kind of charting capabilities you expect from a trading platform.

In addition remember we are priced at $499.00.

#40     May 31, 2006