TradersStudio Thread

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gyles, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Hi all and Happy New Year !
    I bought TradersStudio some days ago. It has its pros and cons but I am very satisfied. Anyway to use it at its fullest potential, it is necessary to learn all its multiple features and, of course, its programming language. Therefore we have decided to set up a special user group for TraderStudio owner as well as for those who do not have it yet but are interested in knowing what can and can not do. The purpose is to have a place where users can exchange programming tips & tricks, helping each other - you will NOT be asked to reveal your strategies - our focus is how to best program the software and use all of its features.
    The user group is a Yahoo group. Nothing to pay. You can enroll here, clicking on "join this group" :
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TradersStudio/

You will receive all messages directly in your inbox. If you want you can opt for a daily digest: all messages for a day contained in a single email. Easy and efficient.

We will also keep an archive of all the messages, an easy reference for future use, just in case you forgot something !
    :D

Of course, Murray Ruggiero is more than welcome !

#41     Jan 2, 2009
  2. Hi all,
    I have a "strange" request ! I apologize.
    I have some problems to read long documentations on the computer screen. I mean, it really tires my eyes. I have always preferred paper books. I must say I am really worried because it is a complex software which will require a long study. It would be great if Murray Ruggiero could forward me a .pdf file (Acrobat Reader) with all the content of the TradersStudio Help. I am not referring to the paper manuals, I am already studying them, what I would like to get is a .pdf file of the manuals which are inside the software, with the description of all reserved words, indicators, programming rules, etc. Then I will print everything on paper.

It would really be a great help for me. Sorry, but I have some serious eyes problems.

Thanks,

samuel_weber_74@yahoo.com

#42     Jan 4, 2009
  3. Angelo_60

Angelo_60

Hi Murray,
    As a purchaser of TraderStudio, I'm really interested in the algorithm implemented to figure out if high or low of a (daily) bar happened first.

Could you please elaborate on this subject or simply point out where to find additional information?

Thanks to everybody for this interesting thread.

#43     Jan 4, 2009
  4. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

I don't have a printed version , or pdf of the on line help but if you right click on a item or a main part of the tree in the help for example order/trading functions and methods you can print all the items under that node in a few key strokes. You will see a print on the right click context menu.

We are working on a all new on line help for pro and might release a reference book for this new help after we have finished the on line one.

#44     Jan 4, 2009
  5. Thanks Mr. Ruggiero,
    I will make good use of your suggestion ! :D
    Another suggestion. Your software looks great and I am very satisfied of my purchase but the documentation, I fear, it is not enough when considering all the possibilities your software offers.
    What about making available an "advanced user's manual" ? 400 pages filled with details, reserved words and functions' listings.
    I would be willing to pay to get it, by the way. In the manuals some things are expalained in a very fast way, unfortunately.

What is this pro version ? I believed it was already a pro software ! My congratulations, by the way. You produced exactly what I needed ! I hope I will soon be able to exploit its fully potential. And I also hope everything will work smoothly ( this is not the case with ts2000i, unfortunately ! )

#45     Jan 5, 2009
  6. Murray, how do I access the closed trades' equity and the number of closed trades for each market from a trading plan ? And for all the whole portfolio ? How can I know ( always from a trading plan ) if today a trade has been closed or initiated ?

Sorry for the dumb questions but these are my first days.

#46     Jan 7, 2009
  7. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

What are you trying to produce some type of custom trade by trade report ?.

Also in terms of being initiated today, TradePlans, don't know that. A tradeplan is run on that day before the order is filled to adjust or disable the order. Tell me a little more what your are trying to do and I will be happy to help.

#47     Jan 7, 2009
  8. Thanks Murray ! :)
    Basically what I want to accomplish for the time being is to learn how to program a fixed radio ( Ryan Jones ) trading plan and another plan enabling/disabling the next trade based on the equity line ( of each single market, not of the whole portfolio ) crossing its moving average ( the mov avg of the equity line itself ).

I understand that trading plans work for the next day ( tomorrow ) but there is no reserved word to get the total equity ( for each market ) and the number of trades at the close of today??

Since you are so friendly with everybody, Murray, I would also like to "encourage" you to release a much deeper documentation of TradersStudio ...... in the manuals there is very little about the creation of custom reports ( I have used trade station for years, I am not new to programming .... but it is impossible to learn from that "slender" explanation ). More important, the section on trading plans should have been much wider. After all it is the main feature of the software and the main reason people buy it. This about the paper manuals. The online help, instead, looks like a "memo" for someone who already knows well the software. Look at the objects' properties, for example. Most commands do not have any description at all !

Murray, I do not want you think I am criticizing ! :D I like your software a lot. It is perfect for me. It is 2 generations more advanced than trade station ..... but I am a full time trader and, to make it useful for me, I need an adequate documentation.

#48     Jan 7, 2009
  9. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

We are greatly improving the manuals in this new version when it gets released as well as the on line help. I am also planning this spring to start offering learning course for various trading concepts using TradersStudio. The cost of these will be decided later but will be reasonable. Video's of these classes will also be available.

In terms of the equity curve since you are filtering trades based on it, you can't use the equity curve for the signals you are trying to filter.

VirtualBuy
    VirtualSell
    virtualexitlong
    virtualexitlong
    VirGetSysPerformance
    VirGetSysPerformance
    VirGetInfoAboutOpenTrade
    VirOpenPositionProfit
    and a few more functions.

What you need to do is to use the virtural functions to create a shadow system. You can then use MarketVar to pass this information to the tradeplan. This way you can have a shadow equity curve for each market and adjust your signals based on that. We will make more detail posts on these concepts within the next few days.

#49     Jan 7, 2009
  10. Trader:
    Glad to know that you got the solution, samuel_weber_74. :) You can count on Mr. Murray to help you and solve your queries. In fact, your suggestion is a good one. :)
    Am wondering if we could make short notes of whatever we learned in your new user group.

#50     Jan 7, 2009