Traders who win but really have no clear strategy

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Sky123987, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

The fact that this came from the mojo captain of the p/l thread (no offense, Bob) makes it that much more relevant. And hilarious.

#51     Jun 15, 2009
  2. Off topic. But this thread reminded me of my first mentor who told me,

"Gut feeling of a trader is like a dog wanting to fuck a bitch."

#52     Jun 15, 2009

3. Excellent. And the more beers that dog has ...

#53     Jun 15, 2009
  4. titan

titan

lol

#54     Jun 15, 2009
  5. Agreed. I don't think it takes a math genius or programmer to succeed in trading. In fact it may be detrimental.

Read the story on the Long Term Capital Management's meltdown in 1998. They hired a team of PhDs in math, and two of whom had received Nobel prizes, to work out some program trading to achieve a 40% return year after year for 3 years. And then they lost huge in just one day. The market environments had changed and their assumptions were no longer valid.

#55     Jun 15, 2009
  6. I think cockroaches do better. :D

#56     Jun 15, 2009
  7. +1... there are limitations to systems and the algo programs.

A human mind is still more powerful than a robot.

Markets continually change too, so any backtested programs may soon become irrelevant and unprofitable.

Don't underestimate intuition or gut feelings... no computer is sophisticated yet to calculate this criteria.

#57     Jun 15, 2009
  8. ammo

ammo

the thing that we need to lose that the animals on nature shows dont have is emotion, specifically pride ,or the need to be right on a trade,this is what trips up the mental trading process

#58     Jun 15, 2009
  9. Dustin

Dustin

Typically I will trade 30-60 different stocks in a day, with multiple entries, adjustments, and exits for each.

I'm in the process of automating some stuff, but it's in addition to my core trading. Stuff that I can't do manually...

#59     Jun 15, 2009
  10. Bootsie

Bootsie

Bingo !

#60     Jun 16, 2009