Traders who specialize in Shorting

Discussion in 'Trading' started by coolweb, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bighog

bighog Guest

Well, i would think that surely some short selling hedge Funds that "SPECIALIZE" in that aspect of the game can and do quite well.

What works for one may not work for the other, especially when you consider the phychological aspect of the game. Some trade options, i never touch them, some scalp stocks, i never do.

What i do, some might never do.

Just like some of my posts, some are allowed, some are deleated by the Nanny's of this forum...:D

#21     Oct 24, 2005
  2. ===============
    Interesting read,especially;
    the SEC noted a notable % of complainers against shorts were frequently executives under investigation by the SEC.

#22     Oct 24, 2005
  3. tdoc

tdoc

Thanks qiuniu. My bad. I too have a RealMoney subscription (I've been with them since they started the site). I guess I have just been ignoring Cramer as much as possible since he went "MAD" and started lobbying to get his own reality TV show. I just missed the MadMoney posts. Thank God there are still a number of other very good writers on that site to make it worthwhile. Although Cramer knows the biz inside and out, I have never been a long-term value investor and I don't invest or trade the way he does.

Tom

#23     Oct 24, 2005
  4. Hey guys,
    Good info going, espically about the cramer thing,

I do know whenever he talks about some stock, he usually pumps them up, but usually when I do short a stock, I should have some good inside or not really noticeable to the eye information about if the stock is going to fall or not.
    You should never short because if its high or emotions or low(for the long term that is )

Most hedge funds that short usually dig real deep for insider info , accountings etc.

But There is also other things you can pick up to have a good idea if the stock is going to dive or not.

Which is what I mean by specializing.. :) keep on the good discussions but not too long, don't want to get too many people interested!

#24     Oct 24, 2005
  5. You talk about shorting like its some new and exciting thing that no one really knows about and you have to keep a secret. New bulletin: Most every trader shorts as well as goes long. Its no secret.

#25     Oct 26, 2005
  6. zdreg

zdreg

why do they bother? they never win any court cases

#26     Oct 26, 2005
  7. zdreg

zdreg

jack of all trades and master of none:D

#27     Oct 26, 2005
  8. It may all be in my head but on an intraday basis I find shorts much more reliable than longs. By this I mean going to where I think its going without a whole lot of screwing around, so you get stopped out less often. I would say 75% of my trades are shorts. If we get into a sustained bull market I will have to change my ways.:)

#28     Oct 26, 2005
  9. maxpi

maxpi

TA for shorting is a tad different than for buying a dip. I do agree that the signals are easier to read. What I don't like is that the risk is greater on the short side, you can lose more than your original investment without margining.

I missed a short trade once on an NYSE issue because I was not monitoring at the EOD and minutes later the company announced they were being bought. It was a narrowly averted disaster and just thinking about it brings on a little fear. Come to think of it, that means my TA on the issue did not reflect any insider action... they must have all been in the options??

Martha Stewart got busted for selling Imclone or whatever it was, my TA at the time had a short signal about a daily bar ahead of her, I should have gotten in on her defense... could have been net positive for the year even.

#29     Oct 26, 2005
  10. Traders who specialize in shorting, Lets get together,
    I'm sometimes @ elitetrader's chat room
    also on the financial chat network

PM me for aim info etc.

Easyrider: Yes, you are correct, there is less error, its not just in your head.

maxpi: I believe when shorting, the risk is exactly the same when buying. No difference,
    Lost of 10 cents, is always lost of 10 cents either with sold or buy to cover, Solid risk management will help you avoid all surprises.

#30     Oct 26, 2005