Traders Who Like Music

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by oldtime, Jan 29, 2012.

1. no, rock and roll is largely accepted as white southern musicians being influenced by black southern musicians. Same thing except for the hotels they could stay in and the record deals they could get.

no one seems to know for sure about Blues, because it doesn't seem to exist anywhere else in the world and apparently started in the Mississippi delta. So surely it had some African influence, but if you go back to Africa you can't find it.

So therefore it must also have some American influence.

I think the whole thing gets a little ethnocentric when nobody can admit these people must have just invented it on their own.

hey, i could talk forever but forex is about ready to open so I gotta go, good talking to you

#31     Jan 29, 2012
  2. Velvet Underground.

Sonic Youth.

Kraftwerk.

New Order.

Pre-Bitches Brew Miles Davis.

Pre-Windows 95 Rolling Stones.

Lots of good stuff out there.

#32     Jan 29, 2012
  3. Zydaco? (I spelled that incorrectly)..oh wait thats a French thingy...

Long Live the Rolling Stones

ES

#33     Jan 29, 2012

4. This is a false statement. Jazz was the great equalizer. Where else could one find members of both races in an old jazz band.

For your brain try this:

Zoot Allures by Frank Zappa
    brilliant arrangement by Zappa, but the vocals are right up your ally.

#34     Jan 29, 2012
  5. Anyone ever stop and wonder why humans are draw to music to begin with??

My guess is the beat mimics the sounds heard in the womb which have a natural calming effect to the subconscious.

#35     Jan 29, 2012
  6. I read somewhere that the Billboard charts were racially integrated - until the Beatles came along and gave the world "white" rock and roll.

No idea if it's true, have never checked, because if it isn't, it should be. :)

#36     Jan 29, 2012
  7. It helps dudes get laid, would be my guess.

#37     Jan 29, 2012
  8. Meh, didn't do much for me, too derivative, like a cross between old Vangelis and Enya on too many qualudes.

But each to their own - if it floats your boat, it floats your boat! :)

#38     Jan 29, 2012
  9. All the British Rockers credit "the black man's blues" as their greatest influence.

#39     Jan 29, 2012
  10. From a NYT review of "How the Beatles Destroyed Rock ’n’ Roll” ...

I'm just sharing, not claiming...

#40     Jan 29, 2012