Traders Who Like Music

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by oldtime, Jan 29, 2012.

1. at least rap has a message which is "you can't keep us down forever."

I guesss the message of time is, "we are going to take the excesses of our parents to an extreme you never dreamed of until you finally admit you are idiots."

ok, I admit it, I admitted it a long time ago, that's what they called the sixities.

is that the best you can come up with?

do we really need an artform to show us what we are doing is not working? Couldn't I just turn on Fox news while I am eating my micro waved dinner to understand that?

anything out there that inspires you to trade?

what is trading? Everything you think is wrong and I am going to bet against it. Now get with the program, everybody's doing it. And get the hell out before everybody ends up like we did.

Do you really think the Grateful Dead is still living in a VW bus?

#11     Jan 29, 2012
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

Out on the road today
    I saw a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac.
    A little voice inside my head said,
    "Don't look back, you can never look back."

- Don Henley, Boys of Summer

For me, listening to music while trading is too distracting. Fires up the right-brain neurons, I guess, and I need logic and discipline while trading :(

#12     Jan 29, 2012
  3. yes, it's the same way for me. When things get slow I get a tune in my head and pull out my fiddle and try to work on it, and that's usually when all hell breaks loose.

back in the 90's when everything was cooking a lot of young traders had four screens and four hi fi speakers and they used to really get it on.

just wondering if anybody still does it.

otherwise, maybe not while trading, but the music of Bach is quite logical and disciplined. Maybe that's too much and when it's all over you need a break.

#13     Jan 29, 2012
  4. I like this song and some other of Hans Zimmer's work.

I listen to pretty much everything from hip hop to a man playing the violin on the street.

During the trading day, Classical is my genre.

#14     Jan 29, 2012
  5. Brilliant piece...but I could never never trade to it...I am far too emotional for that. Gawd during the build up I would crash...Hey maybe I should try it and it could help me become profitable!

You folks should take a listen...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/srrAm9Eiqcw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/srrAm9Eiqcw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

#15     Jan 29, 2012
  6. ok,I did listen to it, and I'll have you know I had to mute Fareed Zakaria on cnn talking to smart men from Davos to do it.

if you like it I am happy for you

otherwise I am concerned your approach to trading may be a little shallow

don't get me wrong, I am all for shallow trading. Put it on, close it if it moves against you, add if it shows you a profit and don't be afraid to add more if it moves against you. I don't know how it can get more shallow than that. And everynow and then just switch sides for the hell of it.

but it's just like gardening, some people get really turned on by big pumkins.

I'm more into sustainability, and that's what I look for in my music

#16     Jan 29, 2012
  7. Totally agree. That said, when things get slow I will pull out the nylon string while watching the market (and invariably end up being reminded of why I always played with a pick.) :cool:

#17     Jan 29, 2012
  8. if you'd quit biting your nails when you are losing you'd be fine

#18     Jan 29, 2012
  9. otherwise, there was a guitarist who was a big hit when he recorded live at Monterey, and we always had a debate if he was playing steel or nylon. His name was Bola Sete, from Brazil I think or somewhere in South America.

#19     Jan 29, 2012
  10. after I had my nervous breakdown and they invented the cd player, I decided that to get my head back together I would collect cd's of all the great acoustic guitar players who played solo.

I never ended up following through on that, I got one from Joe Pass.

I had a lot of good ones on vinyl though. The best one is a faded blue album cover with Segovia playing Villa Lobos on the inside.

#20     Jan 29, 2012