traders who have second jobs, what is it?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by NYC212, May 8, 2009.

1. I am sure da only greens you know about are da onez yo mammy makes with da black eyes peas and friiied chicken.

nati

#11     May 8, 2009
  2. Seriously, this was the reason I didn't take a prop position. They told me up front it would take two years to make a living. The first two years would be really, difficult, was there word. And in downtown manhattan where $50k is abject poverty, you should catch the drift. It wasn't even at a prop shop, either, that I was told the same thing. That's what they said at Oppenheimer as a bond broker. You're not in any different of a basket than the rest of us are.

I have three jobs:

1)RIA Rep-makes good money. Double what I make at my part time job.

2) Back office mutual fund rep. If you ever wondered what happened to applications once they left the broker, that's what I do.

3)Maybe a hobby, but it's made big money for me on a percentage basis: trading strategy developer and a trader, history can be seen at www.collective2.com/go/pairsqidqld

Anyway. That's the real deal in finance. You have to sell, prove yourself, then you might be given the chance to manage big money once you've proven you can by passing the CFA curriculum, and a couple other professional accredidations. Any schmuck can pass the series 7,6,65, but it's what you do after that and your track record that will be the big determinant on your success.

As it relates to trading, I've traded with over 6 figures for 6 years now. I'm hoping to crack 7 figures in five years. Then 8 figures in 10 years. Managing a hedge fund with 10 figures in 15 years. The next twenty years should reach 12 figures.

If that's a timeline you can stand to be a part of, you'll find it's not so bad after the first 15 years when you got about $50 million to manage and earn about 1% on it annually. Most stop at that point, and I'm certainly on track for it. When you start dealing with institutions is when big money comes your way, but it's pretty fickle. It's who you know at that point.

#12     May 8, 2009

3. Omar aint goin get riled up over dis here.

#13     May 8, 2009
  4. bathrobe

bathrobe

We wouldn't want that. We cant understand you now, imagine if you got riled up.

#14     May 8, 2009
  5. Omar is not even good at his ebonics, he needs work on his fake ghetto BS.

#15     May 8, 2009
  6. trendo

trendo

Maybe so, but his posts are amusing. Let's not chase him off just yet.

#16     May 8, 2009
  7. NYC212

NYC212

if I want to laugh, I would just pop on youtube and watch eddie murphy clips

#17     May 8, 2009
  8. TRS

TRS

Whilst I was learning to trade, I supported myself by being a cleaner (janitor) at night.

#18     May 9, 2009
  9. bathrobe

bathrobe

While I was learning to trade I ran a private equity firm. :)

#19     May 9, 2009
  10. :D :D

I believe you, I did something similar, I was learning and telling people I already learned

I was young and had balls :)

#20     May 9, 2009