traders who are deeply religious

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hermit_trader, Dec 14, 2005.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

they do
    "Cornerstone Investor's Club was started by Michael Norris because he wanted to help others invest in the stock market. Michael is a committed Christian and lay minister in his church. The name Cornerstone comes from Jesus as the Cornerstone, which refers to the foundational stone, which the Church is built upon (Ephesians 2:20 "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.") The foundation of all your financial decisions should be based on Christ."

http://www.manhattanbaptist.org/mbc/ministries/investors_club.htm

#11     Dec 14, 2005
  2. Do good and do well.

Nothing wrong with that.

#12     Dec 14, 2005
  3. I heard a woman who is deeply religious and she trades as if she is the agent of the god. She assumes all her works are required by the god, not herself. So she can detach herself from the market. This seems to be a good method for the emotional control. Of course, this method can only be used by religious people.:D

#13     Dec 15, 2005
  4. the theta or meta(?) mind state when one is deep in prayer or mediatation can be conducive for intuitive type trading---other than that, i don't think it makes much of a difference. it appears god has little care over who is succesful and who is not, judging from the evidence.

best,

surfer

#14     Dec 15, 2005
  5. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

mark ritchie (market wizard) is perhaps one of the most devout christians one could meet.

he wrote a book about how he came to terms with the christian belief system in his life. its called 'god in the pits'

if one of the worlds most successful traders is a devout christian, i cant see any issues (for christians)

a friend of mine works for an investment bank. he is not a trader, but he specializes in banking and commercial practices within islam.

apparently, it against their belief system to make a profit - which makes investing for them - or growing a business a little tricky. i dont know too much about that though - others may know more on this.

#15     Dec 15, 2005
  6. i could not have gotten through the dark days i've had without faith that God has me trading for a purpose.

and i don't mean dark days as in losing days...but as in self doubt caused by repeated failures.

some people derive strength from themselves or their adversity they say. maybe they do.

however, i recognize my own frailty and weakness (mental and physical)...so i rely on christ to be my rock and i am beaten down.

so far, i have not been let down. i don't expect i shall be.

religiosity is dumb. it's about inner core beliefs and faith.

i believe in christ as savior...in essence this is the ultimate TRADE of life. I have traded my self will and accepted his sacrifice and put in place His will. The risk to me is doing things my own way (i had to give that up)
    the reward is salvation and heaven....pretty good RvR i'd say!!!! lol.

#16     Dec 15, 2005
  7. surf, you'll notice that God has made the sun to shine on the righteous and unrighteous alike.

he gives to whom he will the ability to do what we do. it is our choice in how we use an ability.

to do good or to do evil. that's free will.

there are of course, repurcusions to all our actions...some immediate and noticeable...some slow and just under the radar.

#17     Dec 15, 2005
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

that remind me, I know 2 successful women traders, both praying hard after putting on the order. I guess it worked.

#18     Dec 15, 2005
  9. mokwit

mokwit

Having a value system that enables you to seperate your perception of your self worth as a person from you trading results is important.

#19     Dec 15, 2005
  10. KingsSon

KingsSon

Actually, it's not recorded anywhere in scripture that Paul said this.

I believe the verse you are referring to is James 2:17 - "Faith without works is dead, being alone." James, the (half) brother of Jesus was stating that if you claim to be a disciple of Jesus, you had better have the corresponding action to back it up.

To the OP - I believe I am deeply religious, and yes that I can handle the pressure better because of it.

The Lord is my strength... in Him do I trust.

#20     Dec 15, 2005