Traders vs. Investors

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DblArrow, Jul 19, 2002.

1. DblArrow

DblArrow

This seems to make sence to me - I am very short term and very rarely look at long term (more than daily charts.)

Just seems where I am at (NW Montana) the economy is cruising right along and nobody seems to notice any problems (except perhaps with 401's etc) and the expectations are things should be good for the foreseeable future.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#11     Jul 21, 2002
  2. DblArrow

DblArrow

There seems to be a number fo short funds out there to help with this.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#12     Jul 21, 2002
  3. Yeah I was just saying that in bulls, investors dont 'rule'or do better than traders....

Hedge funds do exist, but after working in a private client division of a brokerage, I can say that very few clients have any sort of downside hedging. Many of the public investors feel hedge funds are risky, and dont understand them. They see LTCM as an example of what happens to hedge funds and get scared. The brokers dont get them to but puts or anything, just average down! Analysts have taken a beating, rightfully so, but some brokers have not protected their clients nearly well enough, and should also go to jail. For example, Nortel was trading at 120ish CDN, and when it was trading at 14, they were telling their clients to buy more to average down from 120. Now its at 1.20.
    Throw them in jail...

#13     Jul 21, 2002
  4. Andre

Andre

While it's true we can argue back on forth on definitions between what constitutes a trader or an investor... if say, you were an unabashed long term buy and hold mentality, you may now have the ammo you need to rationalize beer as an investment.

To wit: if under a long term buy and hold strategy you had bought $1000.00 worth of NT stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00. With ENE, you would have $16.50 of the original $1,000.00. With WCOM, you would have less than $5.00 left.

On the other hand, if you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the 10 cent deposit, you would have $214.00.

Based on the above comparisons current long term investment advice might be best sunmed up as: Drink heavily and recycle. But please... do your own due diligence on the can/bottle return value based on which state you live. For instance in Oregon, it's 5 cents a can. I don't know where it's 10 cents.

#14     Jul 21, 2002
  5. Hahahaha!!!! :cool:

Unfortunately, many squashed their beer cans on their heads after looking at their portfolios.

#15     Jul 21, 2002
  6. Andre

Andre

::laughs:: It's true, that can put a damped on redemption. But some of those automatic ones will still take a somewhat crumpled can if... it can read the bar code.

#16     Jul 21, 2002