Trader's Union

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by chasinfla, Aug 28, 2002.

1. I'm not exactly pro-union. However, I think professional traders could benefit from a little collective bargaining, to carry a little more clout with firms and to obtain discounts on research subscriptions and such.

Just an idea. So, wuddaya think?

2. axehawk

axehawk

Do you think the guys at Merril and Morgan will join us on the picket line when we go on strike? LOL.

3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

If you get a group of guys together brokers will listen. We do that with our chatroom and when I show them that I can get them 100 + people, my members nearly always get a better deal than the average Joe. If you have a group of friends and you are all fairly active, you should be able to do the same thing.

Brandon

4. LOL...well, <i>striking</i> wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Won't we have to vote on that?

5. Anarchy works best ...

6. Seriously. Anyone serious enough, who is trying to make it and sick of getting bs lines from firms, help desks, and the Floor, bring on your feedback.

7. Trajan

Trajan

A bunch of French traders went on strike in 98 when the Matif went electronic.

8. MrDinky

MrDinky

As Brandonf was saying, there is definitely strength in numbers. Even if it wasn't a union in the traditional sense, just getting a large enough group of traders together as a membership organization could probably realize some significant savings in group rates for things like insurance, equipment, etc...

I don't know if it'd help in the case of negotiating rates for firms. This board is proof a group of traders can't agree on one firm, prop or retail, and no one's going to offer discounts unless they can get business from a majority of the members.

:cool:

9. cartm

cartm

Union is not gonna happen, but what I have wondered is how powerful is the lobby in Washington with regards to capital gains? This is something traders should look into, lets cut them, or maybe, abolish them. Probably wishful thinking, but nevertheless, it is something that should be put on the agenda if the economy continues to not do well. later