Traders trading separately but together.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderwald, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Hi guys,

Are there any groups where traders rent out office space and trade together but alone ? As in they are in same space and have things in common to talk about, but their trades are done on their own without sharing info.

Is that feasible and is it a good idea / would be fun to do ?

Perhaps they can lease a space together with a great view and share expenses on some common trading infrastructure etc. but do their trading on their own and using their own funds or fund sources.

Thank you

2. schizo

schizo

3. guru

guru

Of course. As soon as they finish trading they spend the rest of the day playing bridge together, then having a little snack together. Then they argue over politics and knock each other’s fake teeth before going to bed. Visit a nearest retirement home.

4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yes there are but I think you explained something wrong.

You said where traders rent out office space.

If you meant where traders get together and rent an office space to share the expense of renting an office...the answer is Yes.

Usually its a group of traders that know each other via whatever reason and then decide to rent an office space together because their home environment is not suitable for trading for whatever reason. It was more common 10 - 20 years ago in comparison to today because today the resources of trading is very inexpensive and laptops / mobile devices are more common.

The prior message post by schizo was to imply you need to first join a group (reason why he suggested meetup) and then get to know some traders prior to renting an office with a few traders from that meetup group.

Like I said, its a hard thing to do these days because the entry expenses into trading is so inexpensive.

Also, people do it not because its fun. :D

My suggestion is that you find a trade group in your area and then get to know traders from that group that want to do what you suggest and willing to put their name down on a office rental lease.

Today's mobility tools makes renting an office space less (very less) attractive.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    TooEffingOld, drm7, remogul92 and 3 others like this.
  5. padutrader

padutrader

in my 30 years of market watching i have found only one person who day trades.

either,day traders are very rare or they hide very well or do not want to be found

6. zdreg

zdreg

7. padutrader

padutrader

?

8. zdreg

zdreg

Their people are the type of people you are looking for.

9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's more difficult these days to meet traders in person and trade in the same room. It's so much easier to just form an online chat group especially with the fact that more brokers today and social media have their own chat rooms now.

In fact, I think its the rise of social media with advances in technology that makes renting an office space with other traders a difficult thing to do.

Years ago (late 90s and early 2000s), there are arcades where someone rents out a large office with desks and computer workstations and then charges a fee for traders to use the space to do their trading...it was a dying field. Didn't last too long especially with the arrival of social media.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/trading-arcade.asp

I was part of an arcade (owner) in the 90's with six other traders. We all had met from an Omega Research Group (today its called TradeStation) and decided to setup shop (lease a warehouse apartment) that had enough room for 20 traders to support 4 monitors for each.

We setup right across from the old Seattle Kingdom. In fact, 3 guys from the original group are still members of ET today although they are not as actively posting these days in comparison to me...I'm the last remaining active member of the original group but they'll pop up once in awhile here at ET just to start some crap here at ET with others just for the fun of it.

In fact, they were the ones that introduce me to the ET forum as a way to keep in touch when a few of us moved out of the country.

Two of them still trade together out of the Chicago Streeterville area in a leased office. Yes, they all hide very well but its not hiding...they're just private especially with the characteristic of social media today.

Too many trolls out there.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    #10     Jan 16, 2020
    TooEffingOld, zdreg, They and 2 others like this.