Trader's Performance Index(TPI)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by virtualmoney, Feb 21, 2008.

1. a max 35% DD is a max 35% DD no matter how low his DD 1% is on any other days, meaning he or his system cannot accustom to a new situation which he has never encountered.

Reminds me of a martingale automated EA, low DD, consistent return until somewhere in Aug last year just blew up compared to another EA with higher daily DD but survived the subprime whipsaw.

#11     Feb 25, 2008
  2. Who are "people"? Most prop (chop shop, as you like to call it) traders couldn't care less what others want to see- the bottom line is, net P&L is the most important for prop traders. You can't spend %'s.

If you're talking about managing other people's money, raising capital, "true" prop, etc., that's a different story.

#12     Feb 25, 2008
  3. Dustin

Dustin

Alright...not so helpful. Anyone with ideas on how to create a measure of performance for prop traders besides the old way (straight $ gains, or cents per share), please post your ideas. I think it would be interesting.

#13     Feb 25, 2008
  4. If they couldn't care less what others want to see, why bother even measuring their own performance? In fact, they should STFU to avoid attention.

#14     Feb 25, 2008
  5. Dustin

Dustin

A measure of performance against peers is useful and interesting information.

#15     Feb 25, 2008
  6. BJL

BJL

Actually, I think trader B is a very dangerous trader likely to blow up in the future.

#16     Feb 25, 2008
  7. Here is what I suggest:

TPI = PP * (1 - (GrossLoss/GrossProfit)) * sqrt(TimePeriodLength) * sqrt(TotalTrades)

where PP is percent of profitable trades.

#17     Feb 25, 2008
  8. TotalTrades? hmm...What happens if the trader is a scalper with an itchy finger on the mouse?

PP? what about non-directional spread traders?

#18     Feb 25, 2008
  9. I'm not sure who you're talking about now, but a lot of prop traders don't measure their own performance in terms other than P&L (and many do try and avoid attention). Some go a step further and look at things like cents per share, etc, but things like % return, sharpe ratio and DD% isn't very important to a lot of these traders. Some have virtually no DD at all, especially if you look at weekly or monthly.

For instance, if Prop Trader A has $10 MM in BP and Trader B has only $5 MM, but they each make $250K in a year, is trader B twice the trader as trader A? No, and I don't think most traders walk around asking "how much BP do you have?" as a measuring stick. Besides, BP available and BP used are two entirely different things- I know traders with $10MM available but they rarely use more than $2-3MM at any point in time. Also, most of these prop traders hold things for minutes or hours, rarely overnight. How do you factor that in?

I'd be interested to see if some one came up with something to measure performance this way, but I still think net P&L is the most important factor to these prop traders. For other traders, other measures are much more important, and your formula may be a decent one for that. I'm just speaking about your average prop guy.

#19     Feb 25, 2008
  10. Can you please explain the symbols used above and what is %return or sharpe ratio? Moreover, I thought trading is a more objective term and can not be reduced to mathematical terms as conditions differ in various markets and countries. So, is it possible to standardize the above for all traders?

#20     Feb 25, 2008