Trader's occupational arthritis ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kicking, Oct 17, 2008.

1. A few months ago I started having pain in my right wrist, for example upon slamming the clothes washer lid or a door for example. It feels as if my wrist is going to snap in two pieces.
    I also feel pain when lifting heavy dumbells, only on that wrist.

Before that I also had shaking in that hand , like Parkinson's but that went away . But it was scary. I am under 40.
    Has anyone experienced this ?
    I feel like my right hand has been weakened from resting on the mouse pad 8 hours a day. Maybe it's something else but I don't have pain in other joints . I am pretty sure it has something to do with the mouse. Or maybe I pounded the desk too hard and too often these past couple of months. Stopped doing it two months ago since I got a laptop so if it was that it should have improved!!

Seriously I am starting to get worried about it.

2. End of week my mouse hand is a freaking claw. The only thing that helps me is not surfing the web so much while killing time in between trades.

3. Surdo

Surdo

Try jerking off with your left hand, it will feel like someone else, while giving your right hand a rest!

:D

4. Vista

Vista

Sometimes my wrist/forearm is so numb, I have to use my other hand.............I'm referring to using a mouse, not the above post. :eek:

5. google "carpal tunnel". it is not necessarily caused by masturbation.

6. You might try placing your mouse pad and mouse on a lower table when you use your computer so that it changes the position of your wrist.

I had shoulder pain and when I did that it fixed the problem.

7. i had a sore elbow about 8 years ago, doctor said it was from using the computer/ mouse.
    went to a fysiotherapist who administered very mild electric shocks on it, it was over after only a couple of sessions, it never came back.

8. this is my 20th year full time and i bet i've missed maybe 10 total days away from the screen in that 20 years. i've averaged around 1000 trades a day and sometimes 4000 or more trades a day in that 20 years
    and throw in surfing and late night and i've not once had a problem with my wrist or eyes. believe me i've thought about it many times and what problems i could have. just exercise and keep your mind in shape and all will be ok.as far as the shaking or parkinsons this is using your mond 8 hrs a day so that could 100% cause those type changes. theres health risks to this occupation

9. my clicking finger is starting to develop tendinitis

10. amgrant

amgrant

I feel your pain (literally!). Look into getting a mouse pad with a wrist support. They sell them at any computer store. I found that to be very helpful.

I would also look into some physiotherapy.

Good luck.

#10     Oct 18, 2008