Traders make pennies, Investors make dollars

Discussion in 'Trading' started by athlonmank8, May 14, 2008.

1. Exactly. That's actually how my story went with that one.

Gotta think bigger than a S&R level sometimes.

#31     May 15, 2008

2. Then why do almost all my picks go up and make new highs if the odds are so stocked against investors?

To make money, avoid buying crappy stocks. It seems a lot of people have a habit of buying lousy stocks.

#32     May 15, 2008
  3. who makes millions? I guess it's not traders or investors, so who is it?

#33     May 15, 2008
  4. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

Fundamentals.?? and common sense. Like sombody else said, APPL is only APPl after the fact, for every Goog there are 300 Doubleclicks. (which Goog just bought).

So can you tell me which are next years Rimm, Goog and Bidu.

EF

#34     May 15, 2008
  5. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

Paulson was underwater, on his subprtime short for over 6-8 months. Any type of investor who uses proper money management or trader obviuosly would of been stopped out. He let it go against him for almost 1 year. you can only do that if you have billions to trade with or have no inclination towards stop losses., Both bad idea, IMHO.

EF

#35     May 15, 2008
  6. Cutten

Cutten

This thread title should be changed to:

Traders make pennies every day. Investors make dollars 3 out of 4 years.

Hence, being a trader is far superior - less risk, more consistency, better compounding.

The only reason to stop trading and start investing is when you reach size constraints. 99.9% of all traders DREAM of being so good that running out of liquidity is their main problem.

#36     May 15, 2008
  7. yup. you caught that too?

That's something not many know. He basically was dead wrong on timing and he almost washed himself out because of it.

Seemed like a huge all or nothing bet

#37     May 15, 2008

8. Most of these lame brains posting here are scalpers and day traders with no other sophisticated skills like options trading, indexes, investing and portfolio management. This the lowest rung ladder of wall street at work sort of last man on the totem pole.

Can you imagine you are at a party and someone asks you " What do you do for a living? " and You pause and grin and say I am a day trader I scalp Emini 's .... you know the rest of the story... the kind of expression on your newly met strangers face.

#38     May 16, 2008
  9. Glad some people are coming to the realization that trading for ticks is generally a waste of time and money.

#39     May 16, 2008
  10. yes and his conviction with the fundamentals allowed him to continue the trade. granted, that kind of stuff can hang you but the guy was right and it was the biggest trade of all time...so give him some credit for having the balls to stick with it.

i'm not saying paulson is buffet but buffet has been way underwater in some "investments" as well and turned out very well on them. geico being one of them. on a complete tangent i want to say buffet is an amazing trader along with being a great investor. but back to the topic...

has ackman been green the whole time in his abk mbi shorts? i honestly don't know but i am going to guess no. and was it really a year for paulson? i thought it was closer to 6-8 months. either way he was convinced the reward relative to the risk was large enough that it justified him in the trade. he was correct on a major macroeconomic shift in the american/world economy so again you have to give the guy some credit even though he didn't nail the top.

#40     May 16, 2008