Traders Magazine?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by garfangle, Nov 7, 2003.

1. I agree with you 0%. Why souldn't a profitable trader
    fine tune his strategy from time to time, and he gets
    all these picked strategies at cheaper than buying many
    differnet books.

who needs to know about brokerages fees, trading
    softwares, personalities interview, and Tax (which
    is not important to many worldwide traders) and other
    basic stuff?

Today i have realized how much money i could have not
    lost if i were not a discretionary trader and could write
    and backtest every idea.

#11     Nov 8, 2003
  2. Bsulli

Bsulli

SFO is appearently available on an international basis. Several issues ago they had a half page picture of a guy from the middle east holding his copy of the magazine thanking sfo for the article on Jimmy Rogers. He said that he looks forward to recieving his monthly copy from SFO. I can only suggest dropping them an email and see if they offer subscriptions not listed on the website.

fwiw

Bsulli

#12     Nov 8, 2003
  3. =================

Might be worth a try to ask politely for a free electronic only edition which is free;
    can not think why they wouldnt give you one perhaps, obviously postage perhaps limits print edition.

SFO a great magazine, good like Thailand pinapples:cool:
    thay don't HOWEVER take the place of a good library.
    ====================================

LOVE LEARNING-sOLOMON, TRADER KING

#13     Nov 8, 2003
  4. Boomer

Boomer

you see, i disagree with you 100%. if a trader is proftiable and has been, then all the different strategies and techniques that many mags. present are just noise. the main idea in some of the best and most popular trading books is that you should find a strategy and hone your skills. i am not saying that you should tweak it, or adjust it, but if you are profitable, learning some backtested strategy on t-bills is a waste of your time. now if you are looking for strategies then go for it. but if a trader splits his attention on all these different strategies, then they will become distracted. that is why so many traders fail, because they always think they need to try out the newest or hottest idea. stay simple, always be willing to change, but dont look for change if it is not needed.

#14     Nov 8, 2003

5. I believe ALL the mags mentioned have foreign subscription rates. I just looked at a copy of "Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities" mag and it did.

That said, all the mentioned magazines are written in english and published here for the huge U.S market. The articles, strategies, and vendors have a definite U.S. bias. You had said when you were living in Bangkok trading the U.S. market was putting a serious cramp in your nightlife and you were trading in other exchanges.

I am sure asian and european markets have different stuff to read directed towards those audiences that might be better suited to a trader like yourself.

Hey, is it true that the Thai beer Singha tastes like "have you ever overcharged a car battery? well Singha tastes like that smells! A draught version is available as well, slightly different taste, but still not very palatable." link http://www.bangkokbob.net/beer.html

Christ! :D

#15     Nov 8, 2003
  6. RAY

RAY

Just as a little addition, I like SFO best.

#16     Nov 8, 2003
  7. Well, we both might be right on our differnet need
    based on our strenght or weakness in trading.

Since four more guys approved their liking of SFO, i
    will put up a Poll to find out which magazine voting
    exceeds by far , on # of votes.

-www.futuresmag.com
    -www.activetradermag.com
    -www.traders.com STOCKS & COMMODITIES
    -www.sfomg.com
    -www.tradersmagazine.com

Any more recommandation?

#17     Nov 8, 2003
  8. Almost everything about Thailand is like a drug, but
    difinitly not Singa Beer.
    I personaly don't like it, because tests too bitter and
    strong, after drinking two singa beer i am done for whole
    day, and you can save a lot if you are a big drinker.

My favorite is Carlsberg and Heiniken, as goes with the
    mojority of the tourist i have seen in Bangkok.:)

#18     Nov 8, 2003
  9. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I disagree with you too. Personally I would much rather read the trader interviews and profiles than anything else. Almost no one is going to write about a winning method. These are written mostly by journalists or vendors, not traders using the method to make a living. For example, in the most recent Active Trader, the guys from Wealth Lab wrote an entire article about a method that they concluded was no good in testing. Of what value is that other than to promote their software? The editorial filter must be light these days. I do like to test stuff and I always go through these magazines and mine for ideas just in case I find a rare gem. Usually in testing, the methods don't hold up or there are serious flaws that are obvious while reading the article.

On the other hand, I really like reading about other traders and how they got to where they are. Its such a solitary existence in this business, so its fun to hear others talk about their experiences. For the sake of newer traders, I think the method articles are really a laundry list of what NOT to do and are of little or no value to a trading career. For the most part, these mags are good for bathroom reading or killing time on airplanes. It seems a unique characteristic of the trading profession that its industry publications are so irrelevant to success in the field.

#19     Nov 8, 2003
  10. Boomer

Boomer

i agree with you wareagle. when i get active trader each month, the first thing i do is turn to the back of the magazine and read the trader profile. i just enjoy reading about other successful traders, b/c like you said, it is a solitary profession. nana, dont get me wrong, i love active trader and tasc, but i find that sfo has more meaningful articles for me. but, i agree that each trader is different, and my find certain ones better than others. anyway...i just got both new ones today.

#20     Nov 9, 2003