Traders: How are we different from the rest?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by chessman, Jun 7, 2003.

1. There's a Latin saying for that : "Docis Docendum" - Teaching (others) teaches (yourself)

I agree in all points - And I will consider becoming a coach myself - Since you can always make plenty more money with a lot less risk, be celebrated as a guru by bloddy beginners, and have an income business that's actually accredited by the bank.

I'm sure none of the above points motivated YOU :D

However, I also agree with Vegasoul. Since you're not making a living solely from trading, you cannot be considered a trader. Sorry.
    This thread is about TRADERS. This is by definition somebody who makes a living only from trading, which is something that makes things a lot more complicated.

-Your whole life and future is dependent on trading performance.

-You have to live off your equity (no worries if you've go extra $$$ incoming for 'coaching' etc.

-I bet you don't LIVE for the market. You don't get up in the morning, analyze everything, then meditate and set your goals for a hopefully successful trading day, then go and develop and test more systems on the go and so on and so on.

-There's a *H*U*G*E* difference between being a part-time trader and being a full-time trader. You are a part-time trader.

-This place is not intended for free advertising. If you want ppl to buy your thing, go and switch a banner on this site. It will bring you more traffic, and besides it WILL ACTUALLY BENEFIT elitetraders by putting your money in here, rather than ANNOYING US with spam.

I hope I wasn't being too cruel or judgmental here.
    People, tell me if you don't agree.

~Scientist :cool:

#21     Jun 8, 2003
  2. gordo

gordo

I'm with Joe here, and also bobcathy1. Like the freedom, and the independance. I desire a unique lifestyle (making my own decisions, set my own dress code/office environment) without being subject to societal dictations (no need to keep up with the Jones', but my goals are not limited my others' notions of success either). Really like the long term entrepreneurial aspects. Have gained experience in many different career paths, but trading seems to the one that holds the most dynamic inspiration for me. However, as mentioned earlier, the uncertaintly of the cashflows can get one a little anxious.

Cheers,

Gordo

P.S. also, to foster a talent in a profession where few succeed is encouraging. To trade well, one must demonstrate a host of skills furthered by many virtues such as dedication, patience, humility, and frugality, to name a few. And to accel at it, is no easy task. To develope an advanced profiency would be a source of great personal satisfaction.

#22     Jun 8, 2003
  3. #23     Jun 8, 2003
  4. chessman

chessman Guest

Good point scientist !

#24     Jun 8, 2003
  5. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Cruel? No. Judgemental, yes.

My intent in this thread was to share "personal trading experience" to chessman's original question. I have not and will not attempt to use this site to promote my company, and you'll find out soon enough if I decide to enter into a B2B with ET. I trade to make money and because I enjoy it, I teach because I enjoy helping other traders, and in the process that knowledge comes with a price. The seminars I deliver are in the evening, and the weekend. I will not compromise my trading or any others trading, by teaching people during the week. When I provide personal coaching sessions, I use my TRADING account, and walk the walk. AND YES, it does make me a better trader!!!
    Your consideration in becoming a "coach" suggests that either your NOT generating your required income from trading (which is what you suggest I'm doing), or you ENJOY teaching. I'm willing to bet the latter. Your opinion of me is not what counts, it is what my trading profits are, and how successful I make other traders, bloddy beginners, and bloodied know it all veterans alike. My bio and posts are products of fact, not the results of a premeditated marketing ploy.
    I'm very familiar with the "snake oil" that many people have tried to run through ET, while having watched this site blossom with some great members, which may explain your pre-judgement, and suspicion of being cruel. I finally got off my tail and registered to respond to SethArb's string "WHo is Jai Ramoutar?" (6/7 1:24am), and clear up some other false statements, and ended by offering "FREE" phone coaching, of which I was taken up on. I have seen many of my other former colleagues and employers(past and VERY RECENT) and their companies get ripped in here (and rightfully so, in many cases) and they haven't decided to jump in here, and speak for themselves or the accussations made against them. My username has integrity, and that's because it is my name, and I will continue to act in a manner that gave it that integrity, rather than hide behind a name made of a trading fantasy or demon.
    I find your attempt at specifiying my daily schedule quite amusing, since even my wife really has no clue what I'm doing in my home office from 7am-5pm. I am all too familiar with the reluctance and caution of your type, and while I respect it, I will confront it when it rears itself. I participate on ET, of choice, not from need or neccesity to market or SPAM. The coventional methods of advertising prove to be effective just as well, and any attempt to discredit or challenge my character will always be paled by who I am, what I have done, and what I will continue to do. I don't pre-judge or determine people, I pre-judge and pre-determine entry, stop and target, and help people do the same.

No gripes here "scientist", just stating facts. As I have always said, if there is anything more I can do drop me a line. I wish you the best, "scientist".

Anybody else want to guess what I'm doing right at this moment, or want to talk about "What makes us different as traders" ?

#25     Jun 8, 2003