Traders having ADD?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by BudFoxx, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Considered it, yes. Although the evidence points to it. The "characteristics" are extrememely similar and my IQ test patterns mirror (basically high in specific areas and lower in other ones) also points to it. (Still scored top 10% :D )

I dont need a disability to blame things on. I got through school with good grades and do well in my career. Tried the Ritalin, and all it did was give me a headache and cranky, so I dont need any meds either. So it isnt like I am looking for a crutch.:

#41     Sep 5, 2005
  2. All I can say is thank goodness for the coffee bean. Or I would be Lost in Space... :p

And lately there have been reports that coffee has more anti-oxidant
    qualities than any other source.

So, you see... it is now considered a health drink... :cool:

#42     Sep 5, 2005
  3. acrary

acrary

I have ADD but I didn't know that's what it was until one of my kids was diagnosed with it.

To overcome it I keep a small notebook on me at all times. Any idea that pops into my head I scribble down into the book. Then when I have time I add it to a list of projects.

I also use NLP before trading to clear my mind and get focused on the markets. To do this I use a blank sheet of paper and write down everything that's on my mind. Ex. fill car with gas, get a haircut, call so-and-so regarding blah, etc. Then after I've written down everything I can think of I close my eyes and say out load "Ok now I need to trade. If there's any part of me that needs my attention let me know now and I'll work on it after I'm done for the day". Almost always items come up and I write them down. By the time trading starts I'm completely focused and relaxed because everything is on the paper.

After I'm done trading I work on the list which reinforces the process. Faulkner of New Market Wizards fame gets all the credit for this technique which he told me about in 1994.

#43     Sep 5, 2005
  4. I am not familiar with mainstream diet books. I did a lot of my research on the web and through bodybuilders. The diet I was on was brutal. I would go no-carb from Sunday night until Friday night. On the weekends I would load up the carbs. I honestly felt like crap on the weekends, but felt incredibly great on the weekdays.

I guess the only big thing is to keep total daily carb intake to less than 10-15 grams total. If you eat too many, you'll just be in a perpetual state of hypoglycemia and feel like shit. My father does Atkins on and off and he claims to be able to eat as much as 50 grams of very low glycemic carbs. However, I am lean and did it my way, while he (and my brother) look pregnant and did it the Atkins way.

Edit: Here is the version I loosely followed; It worked great.

http://low-carb.org/lylemcd/cyclic2.htm

#44     Sep 5, 2005
  5. omniscient

omniscient Guest

alan -

first, welcome back. i hope we will be reading more from you soon.

second, thx for posting that method. i've never been diagnosed with ADD, but i know i can be distracted - even while trading. honestly, i've never really given much thought to quieting the internal noise until i saw this thread.

take care and gtty -

omni

#45     Sep 5, 2005
  6. chisel

chisel

Thank you.

#46     Sep 5, 2005
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

#47     Sep 5, 2005
  8. Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting.

I don't think it is off topic. We as people tend to shift blame for our problems; we try to blame age, stress, and genetic disorders or diseases when the problem is self-induced. I don't mean to belittle those with real ADD problems; however, a lot of what I read on this thread sounds like the effects of other lifestyle-induced things.

A decent diet goes a long way towards helping physical and mental well being. Unfortunately we often forego sound lifestyles and favor convenience. This is the boat I, and I'd imagine the majority of the US population, am in.

If you havn't already, check out "Supersize Me". Thinking about diet again has got me motivated to make a change myself. If you have concentration problems, I'd suggest you do the same before seeking some sort of clinical help. I'd bet good diet will solve most people's problems.

#48     Sep 5, 2005
  9. BSAM

BSAM

I keep wanting to read this whole thread, but.....wait a sec.....I gotta do something.

I keep wanting to read this whole thread, but.....wait a sec.....I gotta do something.

#49     Sep 6, 2005
  10. bodybuilding diet is not going to help a trader... lol wtf. bodybuilding is a full time job.

btw how come that nutrition page doesnt show what time he takes steroids?? :)

#50     Sep 6, 2005