Traders having ADD?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by BudFoxx, Aug 15, 2005.

1. M Vega

M Vega

You are doped while trading :eek:

#31     Aug 19, 2005
  2. i disagree with this one... because its not possible for someone to watch the screens for 8 hrs+ a day if they have ADD.

people would love to have ADD, tho, since it is SUPPOSEDLY linked to creativity. hahaha. the drug companies would love you to believe this.

#32     Sep 4, 2005
  3. I don't know about ADD, but I know I have noticed a massive change in my energy levels over the last few years. I used to have a moderate amount of energy upon waking, and concentration was not a problem. Now, I can't think if I get up and immediately sit in front of the computers. I lose all focus after two hours, and my motivation and thought capability is lost for the day.

The solution? Diet. I remember once when I was preparing for a bodybuilding competition I was on a hardcore ketosis diet. I would sugar load on weekends and was almost literally carb-free on weekdays. On Sunday night and Monday, I felt like shit, kind of like I commonly do now. But once I got back into ketosis, I was sharp as a tack. I had virtually unlimited energy and focus. Carbs are the problem. Unfortuanately, like virtually everyone else, I am also addicted to them.

I am best when I get to the gym first thing in the morning. I seem to retain focus better and am more motivated throughout the day (except on leg day). Also, try eliminating junk food. Eat complex carbs. The more crap you eat, the worse your brian and body will function.

Perhaps traders tend to have ADD, but in my experience the above is the cause of most of your problems.

P.S. No, I do not practice what I preach. Ice cream and pop are just too damn good.

#33     Sep 4, 2005
  4. chisel

chisel

I can't say that I've beaten my sugar addiction but I've come pretty close within the last month. Are there any books you'd recommend for a ketosis diet? Your post is a wonderful reminder for me that I feel better when I eat right.

#34     Sep 4, 2005
  5. I have it and have worked as a NASDAQ market maker glued to my screen for 8 years, so your theory is wrong.

Also realize that there are different severities of ADD, perhaps mine is slight.

#35     Sep 5, 2005
  6. What was the question?

#36     Sep 5, 2005
  7. I would say Electric is more like an "absent-minded professor".

#37     Sep 5, 2005
  8. :D

#38     Sep 5, 2005
  9. have u ever considered that u really dont have ADD? some people need a disability so that they can blame it in case they fail. not saying u do but it happens.

#39     Sep 5, 2005
  10. the "creativity" aspect of ADD probably comes from when you cant concentrate on boring textbooks at school, or mundane office work, you are zoned out and then day dreaming of other things, which enhances creativity but also appears as if you are not _paying attention_. thats the disability from ADD -- not paying attention. if you can pay attention for 8 hrs+ then you dont have it.

#40     Sep 5, 2005