Traders having ADD?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by BudFoxx, Aug 15, 2005.

1. i think it's more like people with add are prone to be traders.

see, there's a place for everyone.

#21     Aug 15, 2005
  2. I agree - people with ADD are more likely to be traders.

I get bored easily (was always top of my class so really think I need the mental stimulation of constant change).

#22     Aug 15, 2005
  3. you and einstein.

:p

#23     Aug 15, 2005
  4. Cures? As Chris Rock helpfully points out- they haven't cured shit since polio- and the drug companies are still pissed about that one!

I'm ADD, and take 60mg adderal every day, before trading. To get this, you'll need to find a doctor with enough balls to stand up to the DEA thugs constantly breathing down the neck of any doc who might dare write a high dose scrip for a schedule- 2 amphetamine.

#24     Aug 15, 2005
  5. Ever have someone talk to you but don't listen to them because you consider them unimportant or a complete waste of time? Then the person thinks you have ADD for not listening! OMGWTF...... pikers of the world just don't have a clue.

#25     Aug 16, 2005
  6. Yes Steve... we are all kidding... Boy we sure pulled one on you!... :D

#26     Aug 16, 2005
  7. milky

milky

That's why I got out! I just scalp vicariously by reading this website. I learned object-oriented programming and now do programming for traders at sell-side firms.

In the prime of my trading career, I asked my cousin, a psychiatrist and psychiatry teacher at Cornell, if there was such a thing as a regime for making your psychology/emotions more robust and hedging against insanity, e.g. a psychological analog to elite-level athletic training.

He said try yoga.

Brett Steenbarger's book is pretty good, too.

#27     Aug 18, 2005
  8. exercise is the best,just simple stuff like riding the bike and some situps. make sure you dont go too easy though. make sure your leaking and after have a whey protein shake.exercise before work is great when i actually do it but its usaully at night.i actually am in better shape now because of trading which is funny. take vitamins also. a good multi vitamin,ginko vit-b. also a multi amino acid. this will lower stress. a punching bag is pretty good too. i put a picture of a hedge fund trader on the bag and give er.lol

if depression is a problem try stuff called sam-e and 5-htp. there is also an omega 3 fishoil called omega 3 joy that is supposed towork. just have to try. later
    :)

#28     Aug 18, 2005
  9. There is no joy when you burp up that fish oil after you ingest it...

Unless the stuff is so good you don't even mind the fishy burps... :p

#29     Aug 18, 2005
  10. I agree with that...for me I take a General Multivit designed for Men, Ginko Biloba (90mg/day) and stress formula vitB complex. Also, I make sure to drink at least one cup of Green Tea per day. I find with the Ginko especially, when I have been on it for a while my thought process seems to be sharper/quicker and memory def improves. I know this because I am learning another language and have actually done self tests where I seem to retain new words faster and more permanently when on Ginko then when off, who knows could be the placebo effect :)

#30     Aug 18, 2005