Traders having ADD?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by BudFoxx, Aug 15, 2005.

1. sulemanf

sulemanf

I've experienced this also, especially the weaker memory. It could be depression :( or just the high stress.

There are Rx drugs of course, but their recommendations about exercise and diet seem the best, long-term, solution.

#11     Aug 15, 2005
  2. So it's trading that is wiping out my memory? I never would of
    thought of that... :(

I too have had my vocabulary reduced to a few simple words:

Go long! Go short! Reverse! Move to breakeven! Move to BE+!
    Cancel! Increase target! Scale in! Scale out! Maybe a few more,
    but that's just about all that is left... :(

#12     Aug 15, 2005
  3. well you dont really do much writing when you are trading and the reading you do is probably speed reading of headlines.

trading is a monkey's job. we look at numbers and charts all day and push buttons. your brain is certainly not being stimulated like it was in college or high school. as the mantra goes, use it or lose it.

#13     Aug 15, 2005
  4. BudFoxx

BudFoxx

need to get back on the trading floor.. starring at the screen all day does not help with my linguistics either.

#14     Aug 15, 2005
  5. silk

silk

What issue was this in.

I believe I suffer from this. When all you do for 6 1/2 hours is watch quotes I believe the mind becomes accustomed to this circular activity and your mind gets out of practice and forgets how to do other tasks.

If I'm talking to someone after trading I easily lose focus and find myself having tuned the person out and find myself daydreaming. As my mind falls back into its circular routine of thinking about positions/markets/quotes ect.

#15     Aug 15, 2005
  6. BudFoxx

BudFoxx

this was in the recent Trader Monthly magazine.

#16     Aug 15, 2005
  7. You folks are kidding right.

I don't know what kind of "trading" you are doing, but my trading business involves research, extensive use of statistics and probabilities, strategic and tactical planing of all kinds, and at the end of the week accounting work during the review of my brokers P&L submittal. I don't know of any monkey's (or ET members for that matter) who are able to it well.

On the subject of ADD, if you suspect you have a medical problem you ought to visit a medical profesional, period. Discussing it with the great medical minds of our times here at ET, is a waste of your valuable time. Also it jeopardizes your health. What you believe to be ADD could be a serious medical problem that a qualified physician might find in time to save your life. That is if you go get it checked out.

Good luck

Steve

#17     Aug 15, 2005
  8. if you are doing research and extensively using statistics, you probably are not scalping and jumping in and out of trades like a madman. i have conferred with other guys on my desk who have said the same thing about their short term memory turning to poo.

i actually did see a doctor and took an MRI but i came up clean. i tried taking amphetamines (prescribed) and for the first two days, my time and sales moved in "bullet time" like in the matrix. everything around me moved in slow motion and my eyeballs were popping out of my head. needless to say, i did quite well trading those two days but unfortunately the effects of the drugs begun to lessen over the next few days. i stopped taking the drugs eventually since they didnt seem to do much after the first few days.

#18     Aug 15, 2005
  9. [​IMG]
    If I'm talking to someone after trading, I easily lose focus and find myself having tuned the person out
    and find myself daydreaming as my mind falls back into its circular routine of thinking about positions,
    markets, quotes, etc.,...

#19     Aug 15, 2005
  10. Instead of snob? what do you mean?

#20     Aug 15, 2005