Traders' Expo this weekend in NYC - anyone?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by KCalhoun, Feb 18, 2009.

1. I'm pretty sure you mean "Bestrade software". He claims to be able to tell you for any given stock, the ideal day of the year to enter and exit based on averaging the stocks path during the year each year. And yeh "this guy he knows loaded up on calls and made $50K" he says in dramatic gesture. He has been using that line for 3 years running and he did it again over and over this year. Myself and another trader stopped and listened for entertainmaint.

As for the raffles and freebies, they should be giving away mirrors by the looks of some of these attendees, but most of them don't get out very often.

I go mainly for the TOS guys and its 3 express subway stops from where I trade.

#41     Feb 23, 2009
  2. gaj

gaj

thanks for the reviews and comments guys. i couldn't come down because of other responsibilities on sunday, but sounds like more of the same old.

if i was coming down, it would have been to put faces to names, not for the expo per se'. i'm not forex or futures, so most of the tables wouldn't have had anything to offer.

table bunnies have been around forever, i would go to pc expo in the late 90s @javitz (when it took up 2 floors and was PACKED) and booth bunnies were the norm, playboy bunnies (playmates? i don't remember) were at one booth as well. even when i worked @a startup years before that, we got booth bunnies; the only distinction our pres made was to have them be very tastefully dressed, because as he said, he just wanted them to draw some attention to the booth, rather than all the attention to them.

#42     Feb 23, 2009
  3. :D

#43     Feb 23, 2009
  4. my brief comments on the one day I went to the EXPO

a. a few hot forex babes to make a gentleman forget the rainy weather outside

b. I briefly met a few of the speakers to
    tell them I appreciated what they have tried to do over the yrs

* that does not mean they can out trade me at this time *

:p

#44     Feb 23, 2009
  5. what else ... I had wanted to meet a "real life"

millionaire trader ( probably due to his mastering mark fishers
    methods and other things ) today

to give him some "hints of new ideas" and to warn him
    I am the other side sometimes of his trades

* decided I would rather trade as I was having one of
    my best ever days and did not need
    to get his autograph in my
    "logical trader" book

:cool:

#45     Feb 23, 2009
  6. any reports on the 'live' sessions they were to have today?

crowd was pretty old. guess all the young bucks are trading prop, dusting off their black boxes once or twice a week and making .0000001 cents a share net.

#46     Feb 23, 2009
  7. yes it's pretty sad to see the old guys with hearing aids or walkers stumbling about. They're vulnerable targets for the pervasive snake oil merchants and man, were there plenty of them.

A friend of mine had a booth (Morgan Stanley) and he gave me a few factoids. The attendance is down but it wasn't noticeable because this expo was shorter than previous years. The costs to exhibotors was not discounted (I was surprised to hear that). The snakeoil element was down a bit this year vis a vis previous years (my take o that is that it was really bad before and now its just slightly better than that but still really bad).

But there were several good presenters such as the Thinkorswim guys, Linda Bradford Raschke and James Altucher (I missed Altucher this time) plus the Tradestation crew so...worth attending despite the slime all over the place

I swear, the NFA, the futures regulator had a booth about 20 feet from the main presentation stage where a bunch of CTA/futures mangers presented. Two of the four presenting had virtually no record but were up there on the stage touting their managed account programs. One presented a multi-year performance chart with really nice consistent results. I asked him if his results were audited. He said no but that they are "verified". I didn't pursue the question because I had no mic and people were having a hard time hearing me. If I had a mic I would have replied: "verified by your mom?"

#47     Feb 24, 2009
  8. his mom is the official auditor, standard practice , just ask Madoff.

#48     Feb 24, 2009
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

sounds like you missed TD Ameritrade's booth.

#49     Feb 24, 2009
  10. I'm not familiar with Trade the Markets. What is the deal with them? How big is the company and how many people do they employ?

#50     Feb 24, 2009