Traders' Coach (Woman)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Toonces, Dec 24, 2003.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Albert Ellis, Rational-Emotive Therapy. I'm surprised you haven't encountered his works, but his books are available at Amazon.

#51     Dec 29, 2003
  2. cannot speak to the smoking thing.... but as for the drinking, a bottle of red.... a bottle of white?..... suits me just fine :p

.... and maybe for variety, a belvedere and tonic?

#52     Dec 29, 2003
  3. It is because I haven't had much luck with the behaviorist or cognitive approaches in ultimately changing the underlying cause.

But now that you mention Rational- emotive, I do know the term.

DKS

#53     Dec 29, 2003

4. steve cohen is far beyond the "marketing" phase of his 4 BILLION dollar fund. he is a very confident person and perhaps is trying to "give back" and help others by sharing what helps him. while i'll agree with you, those who are frightened about losing their positions, still in capital raise stages, or not totally at ease with themselvesor what they do would hesitate in discussing what they do. obviously, cohen does not fit this profile.

best,

surfer :)

#54     Dec 29, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

What you've provided regarding "modern" analysis, however, is behavioristic. As I've said, changing the underlying cause need not have anything to do with changing the behavior. In other words, achieving enlightenment is only a step. One must then apply the enlightenment. And that's where analytical approaches always fall short when it comes to trading.

If you understand RET, I'm sure you can see how it relates to Douglas' discussion of belief and how we construct our individual realities.

#55     Dec 29, 2003
  6. db... if it works for you, then great. for me, uncovering the unconscious emotions works.

keep up the good work!

#56     Dec 29, 2003
  7. What works is a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka and a fine slut...

:D

#57     Dec 29, 2003
  8. chessman

chessman Guest

Yes, thanks for your detailed answer.

As you know self Sabatoge is very common among traders, it is that repeated destructive behaviour which I find very interesting.

Ed Seykota has developed a similar technique, however his theory is that the there is a disconnect between the conscious and subconscious mind; in your example Ed would say that the unconscious wants the trader to fully experience the FEELINGS of 'stupidity'. It wants to communicate the feeling of feeling stupid to the conscious mind.

Let's say a child has a stuttering problem in pre-school, and is repeatedly teased. He is not able to resolve that feeling, so the subconscious mind for the rest of his life keeps on getting him in situations where he feels 'stupid'. Ed has a good writeup on his site.

http://www.seykota.com/tribe/TT_Process/index.htm

I believe this element of 'Feelings' is very important, and is the common thread in your work and Ed's.

All the best

#58     Dec 29, 2003
  9. chessman

chessman Guest

The second-most-influential psychotherapist of the twentieth century, by the reckoning of the American Psychological Association, turned ninety last month. His name is Albert Ellis, and, in case you didn’t know, he is the founder of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, or REBT, and the author of more than seventy books, including “Sex Without Guilt,” “Sex and the Liberated Man,” “The Case for Promiscuity,”

Ok db, please tell us which sex book did you buy??

#59     Dec 29, 2003
  10. my opinion of this issue, and i admit it is fluid (opinion), is that the lack of ability to handle real FREEDOM is one of the primary stumbling blocks to successful trading. allow me to explain, all thru one's life, they are generally told what to do and they follow directions--from nursery school thru grad school one is following someone elses directive. this continues thru out the average person's life into their career, family, etc. most follow directions and have limited FREEDOM of choice outside of parameters, however wide those parameters.

trading provides real FREEDOM and most people can not handle this FREEDOM therefore they self destruct. this self destruction is a defense mechanism to avoid real FREEDOM. people crave this FREEDOM yet most are petrified of it, when they have it and do not know how to handle it.

the key is being able to handle the freedom trading provides by trusting yourself without needing directive.

best,

surfer

#60     Dec 29, 2003