Traders' Coach (Woman)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Toonces, Dec 24, 2003.

1. michael jordan, paul tudor jones, steve cohen, tiger woods-----

no one on the above list, who have hired coaches, have the knowledge or skill.

you are out of you mind.

:eek: :confused: :eek:

#31     Dec 27, 2003
  2. Pabst

Pabst

I agree with Gann etal that if a trader is completely systematic the role of emotions and inner psychology are greatly mitigated. I however am a discretionary trader. I have no plan. That can be real good, that can be death. I've come to realize that in trading creativity must have structure.

Price changes are merely information at it's most literal. How we CHOOSE to interpret that information is dependent on what belief system we're operating under at that particular moment. We FILTER information and then respond according to what we WANT to hear. If you want to believe your girl is a little pristine virgin then the hardest evidence won't convince you she's sleeping with your neighbor. If you think your girl's a slut, the most innocuous encounter she has with another will set you off on a rage. We often IGNORE reality. Is there a trader here who's breathing or anxiety level or confidence doesn't change depending on his position or lack of one in relationship to price changes. Very few have attained such detachment from their personal regard vs. market based information.

If you believe that your trading potential is being hampered by issues such as overtrading, missing high pct. opportunities, not taking a loss the moment you realize the reason for being in a trade no longer exist, then you need help. Now the question is: can compulsive behavior be cured? I don't know. The results of "curing" sexual predators has been dismal, so not all behaviors can be modified. But the bottom line is this, the vast majority of people actively trading (as opposed to passive investors) have no business touching an account.

#32     Dec 27, 2003

3. hi pabst,

complete emotional control is required to be a systematic trader, in order to "stick to the system" regardless of drawdown, etc.

i really like your statement " creativity must have structure" absolutely .

best,

surfer:)

#33     Dec 27, 2003
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The knowledge or skill to help themselves, genius. Don't misunderstand on purpose just for the sake of picking an argument.

Clearly you are not capable of helping yourself or you would not have so much difficulty understanding those who are. There are those who have no choice but to turn to coaches. But claiming that only those who are in the highest circles are sensitive enough and talented enough to truly understand the need for these coaches and that these traders alone are truly able to take advantage of the pearls being cast is completely idiotic.

If you need a coach, fine. But don't drag some other soul into the argument simply for the sake of justifying the means you've chosen to meet your own need. To do so implies that you have something to be ashamed of. Just do it, for God's sake. Whether or not Jones or whoever does it is completely irrelevant.

And while you're at it, you might also ask why you find it necessary to be so precious with regard to capitalization.

#34     Dec 27, 2003
  5. Again...

It's true that it's hard to know 100% of yourself through your own perception.

But that's because you allow it to happen. There are things that you want to view yourself as and unconsciously put the details in the closet.

Another thing that matters is, the person talking to you has to be in a higher or same degree of mentality. Try talking about trading with a little kid. They will have no idea what you are talking about. But talking to other people who has excelled in their own terms of profession can relate to each other well.

#35     Dec 27, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

"People who need people, ARE THE LUUUUUCCKIEST peeeeeople in the wooooooooorld...."

nitro

#36     Dec 27, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

All kidding aside,

I would be fortunate enough to find someone that could coach me at anything I want to excel at. And if I ever achieve great success, I would have no problem using a coach. Being "coachable" is an extremly valueable personality trait to have.

I loosely define "coach." It could be a parent, or a brother/sister, or someone you hire for the purpose, etc. In different fields they go by different names, but they are coaches nontheless.

The key is that person truly cares about your success, and is able to inspire and guide you or in general provide that extra "push" to achieve. Sometimes they see more in you than you see in yourself.

There are too many examples to cite of competitors in any field that have had famous and not so famous coaches.

nitro

#37     Dec 27, 2003
  8. I've never actually realized this... ( realized meaning not part of me or understood ) but I've read that true relations come from "LOVE"...

I think I read this in Ueshiba Morihei's book (Aikido)...

True mentoring, true teaching comes from pure caring ("LOVE") towards the other, just like how a mother cares about a baby. This love is the only human "LOVE" a person can have towards others, without a sense of objectivity or relativity. Human subjective "LOVE"... Pure sense of selflessness and "true" sense of flowing... etc. etc.

I'm utterly confused (again... meaning... I don't have sensual grasp... but mentally can accept )... but anyways... I've gotta re-think about the whole mentoring thing...

Non-bias ... Selflessness...

Selflessness... Sense of Divine "LOVE"

shhhheeeeezzzzzzzz.... it's beyond my mentality to sense...

#38     Dec 28, 2003
  9. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Cohen may want to promote this fact purely for marketing purposes. I dont know how cohen runs their operation but most of the best traders dont even talk about what they do and they dont discuss who they employ and for what purpose in any public venue. If Cohen is doing this then IMHO there is some type of marketing motive at work.... There simply is no reason to talk about such things

#39     Dec 29, 2003
  10. From my point of a view as a decade long trader and as a partially trained modern psychoanalyst, it is certainly true that unconscious mental and emotional structures can impact trading decisions and therefore trading success - unless of course one is trading a 100% mechanical system.

Therefore, it also holds true that making unconscious mental structures or emotional reactions conscious can lead to more successful trading - in that once the influence is known, it can be managed.

As for coaches, I have worked with Adrienne, do not know Robin and am very interested in seeing how Dr. Flavia C.'s work correlates with my training and my trading experience.

I am also interested in figuring out how to directly apply the theories and techniques within Modern Psychoanalysis to help other traders become more profitable - hence my thread posted a few weeks ago. My motivation is 3 fold - teaching and coaching can help the teacher/coach too, a diversion from trading that has the quality of giving something back (besides liquidity) and to of course, make a little money. I don't know about Robin but the one thing I had noticed was that there were no coaches who were CURRENTLY also successfully trading - it is my intention, when I have finished some preliminary work to be that person.

Modern Psychoanalysis has much to offer in that it directly addresses self-destructiveness (making money then losing, having a system and not following it, taking too much risk) and one's viewpoint about how much success they "should" acheive. Many here have addressed and moved on from these issues - for those who have not, a new angle might become useful.

Regards,
    DKS

#40     Dec 29, 2003