Traders Cant Beat The Market

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Free Thinker, Aug 19, 2003.

1. I do agree with him, too but the conclusion that one should invest in index funds (to ensure your pension) is wrong:
    The population of the industrialized part of the world is aging. If everybody buys stock to pay the pension to whom will he sell? Younger people who intend to do the same. What happens if there are less younger people who want to buy than those older ones who want to sell?
    If you're buying index funds you only make sure that you get the avererage of all who invest in the stock markets. But if the return of this isn't sufficient to make a living when you're old that's bad news.

#11     Aug 19, 2003
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Deflation is built into the baby boom retirement, little doubt about that.

#12     Aug 19, 2003
  3. maxpi

maxpi

The author of the article says the market is a zero sum game. I can't see that even from his perspective. If everybody that invests in an index fund makes 10% per annum and gets more out than he puts in then it is not zero sum.

:confused:

#13     Aug 19, 2003
  4. damir00

damir00 Guest

you can't get your 10% out without someone else putting the same amount in.

#14     Aug 20, 2003
  5. Do you feel confident to buy and forget right now, or you have meant cost averaging buy every month ?
    Walter

#15     Aug 20, 2003
  6. Monthly dollar cost averaging.

But it would still be very hard for me to start now though, knowing
    just a bit about the markets.

In general, however, I think this is the best joe investor can do.

peace

axeman

#16     Aug 20, 2003
  7. maxpi

maxpi

That's silly. If the issue prices all rise then everybody in an index fund gets more money out. That is what the author is saying.

If all the stock prices doubled overnight then everybody got more wealth. It's not even a zero sum game. Options maybe.

#17     Aug 20, 2003
  8. damir00

damir00 Guest

and how do you think prices rises? by somebody else putting more money in.

at the end of the road the *only* way you'll get more out (in real terms) t is if more money than you want to take out was put in by somebody else.

#18     Aug 20, 2003
  9. not true at all.if a company comes up with a cancer cure it will double overnight without any extra money being added.

#19     Aug 20, 2003
  10. taodr

taodr

Someone has to buy the shares to make it double.

#20     Aug 20, 2003