trader vs hot dog vendor

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HiddenAgenda, Jul 10, 2009.

1. hasn't seasonality been disproved as a factor in stocks? maybe back in the 1940's it worked, ask al hirsch of the stocktrader almanac.

seasonality effects the hot dog or gyro mmmmmmm selller--as winters in central park likely dont sell as many gyros than in the summer. surf

#11     Jul 10, 2009
  2. fhl

fhl

Hot dog default swaps!

That's the ticket!

#12     Jul 10, 2009
  3. I know I asked this before and it was funny to see the responses:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to work in the private sector when the public sector still has pensions and jobs at the taxpayers' expense? lol. And yes, govt pensions will still be backed by the taxpayer til the end of time.

#13     Jul 10, 2009
  4. I'm talking from experience of trading in an office with good scalpers, some of which used to swing 10k share lots. I think you can even find threads on here back from when NYSE daytraders used to actually talk about it. Daytrading, at least US stocks, is definitely seasonal. I would even put S&P into that category since it gets affected by important earnings.

Daytrading is seasonal because earnings are seasonal. It's not about direction, it's about volume & volatility. Certain months are dangerous, like August, September, sometimes February. A less experienced trader often gets caught in churn mode in those months.

I don't know for sure, I just know that it's less seasonal than we would assume. I'm sure tourism & weather have their effects, but in general, it is steady business due to the locations. Think about your average hotdog vendor in midtown. Same people still go to work and step out for breaks & lunch.

#14     Jul 10, 2009

5. good points.

#15     Jul 10, 2009
  6. Thanks.

I also wanted to add some advice that was preached by the group leader. He always said to focus your effort and trading during the earnings seasons and take it easy during the slow times. New guys & less experienced guys used to make the mistake of getting into a heavy trading mode during slow months, often due to a few negative days in a row. Few would listen when he would tell them to just take a few weeks off and cut their trading until earnings start. Quite a few would blow their accounts a week or two before earnings season, when had they taken a break, they would have still been in the game.

I've actually looked over my own sheets back then and noticed that earnings seasons were my best months. In retrospect, it should have been common sense. It's not an ironclad rule, but most scalping setups or intraday swings have a tendency to reach their best risk/reward during earnings.

#16     Jul 10, 2009
  7. golfbmw

golfbmw

ÄãÃÇÃÀ¹úÈË×öÃÀ¹ÉÒ»°ã¶¼ÊÇʲô·½·¨ÄØ£¿ÊÇÇ÷ÊÆÂð£¿ÓбðµÄ·½·¨Âð£¿ÔÚÖйú£¬×öÄãÃÇÃÀ¹É£¬ÓкöàµÄ·½·¨²»ÊÇÂð£¿

#17     Jul 18, 2009