Trader Poll: How much is your house worth and what city do you live in?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lolatency, May 10, 2009.

1. opt789

opt789

None of you have kids? How do you trade from home with such small sqft? I’m in a 4000 sqft Toll Brothers house and it seems small when the kids are running around going crazy. For those who like their TV, a living room is hardly ever used, a separate dining room rarely used, but a dedicated media room is priceless.

#21     May 10, 2009
  2. i'll bite

~700 sq ft railroad off the graham stop on the L in bklyn. $1500/month looking at a $67.50/month renewal increase. Not sure if I'm gonna stay. It's a relatively nice place with good light and park facing windows, paper thin walls... dunno

in a roommate situation i could get the equivalent of a 10k/year raise

#22     May 10, 2009
  3. Corey

Corey

It isn't just Wellesley. Most of the Massachusetts suburbs have great public schools. I think Acton recently scored as one of the high schools with the highest average SATs in the nation (including private schools).

Then again ... check out the education at some of the private schools in the New England area... they will really blow your mind. Then again, so will their tuition!

#23     May 10, 2009
  4. pspr

pspr

You know you can go to www.zillow.com and check on just about any address in the country.

I'm in a 2000 sq ft rental near Dallas while wife is on temp assignment here. Our home is in Orlando 2400 sq ft 4 bed 3 bath. It was worth about $350K a couple years ago, now about $250K.

As far as my trading work space I've abandoned my office/computer upstairs to usually trade from my notebook sitting in my Lazyboy. I use a Levenger "kidney" to keep the computer off my lap. It's much more relaxing this way and I can see everything I need on one small screen (trading index futures). The only drawback is there isn't much room when our 90lb Rhodesian Ridgeback wants to climb up in the recliner with me.

#24     May 10, 2009
  5. Bob111

Bob111

#25     May 10, 2009
  6. "The Scientist" is a lame troll idiot who registers a new alias every night and posts to new threads. He has no money and tries to find people dumber than him to follow him because he has some sort of mental trade-jesus complex.

However, this link is just a link to estimating what you can do with geometric brownian motion as a model for stock price movement. The guy doesn't really show you how to estimate the drift and volatility correctly. He just plugs in the sample mean of the returns and the sample standard deviation from excel. As such, his model is bunk. Just because you have a sample drift now doesn't mean you'll have the same drift two minutes from now and the volatility process itself is a function of time -- otherwise there wouldn't be a volatility smile.

It's only a model, and even then, you would either have to go fish out the implied volatility, forecast volatility, or use historical volatility. One could discard this model and go with a jump diffusion model and come up with different probabilities.

This is of marginal benefit to stock traders and of more use to options traders and options MMs looking to sell their wares under a risk neutral measure + some spread over top of the theoretical value.

The Scientist is a complete and total retard and I'd be surprised if he even knew what Feynman-Kac was, or whether he could connect geometric brownian motion to the black-scholes-merton PDE. He knows nothing and barely passed algebra. He is a complete and total idiot.

#26     May 11, 2009
  7. 300 sq. feet. Good God man how do you stand it. New Yorkers are definitely a breed apart and have to love city life.

#27     May 11, 2009
  8. Humpy

Humpy

Ever thought of moving country?

Why not try Iceland ?

Cold you may think BUT they are the biggest producers of bananas in Europe. Not many people know that.

The local currency is worthless ! So with dollars etc. you could pick up a good sized 4 bed for next to nothing !

Speak English too, well almost !

AND the GIRLS ooooooooooooooh la la scrumptious

#28     May 11, 2009
  9. $1675/1000 sq ft in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood. This includes heat/AC, water, trash and a $50 credit towards Comcast. This also includes an indoor garage parking spot.

I live with my gf so we split it. We are just 2 blocks from the Zoo and Lakefront where I do a lot of biking and running nearly everyday.

#29     May 11, 2009
  10. Bob111

Bob111

ok...give us an example of 4 bedrooms at cost next to nothing in Iceland

#30     May 11, 2009