Trader Monthly 100 (Top Earning Traders in 2006)

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by CPTrader, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Surdo

Surdo

It's 75% ads of expensive watches and shoes, so it's worth what you paid for it.

If you don't like it leave it in the mailroom garbage like I usually do after I flip through the 2 page feature article.

el surdo

#11     Apr 9, 2007
  2. For the top dog traders, thats like ordering off a menu. To the rest of us, its just hopes and dreams.

#12     Apr 9, 2007
  3. S2007S

S2007S

david shaw who made an estimated $500 million +, probably made more than the entire ET forum combined. They make it look to easy. crazy results.

#13     Apr 9, 2007
  4. It's easier with other people's money especially when you blow up. :D

#14     Apr 10, 2007
  5. When you put it that way, I get very scared. Battling it out on home computers in retail accounts using the least amount of resources possible.

#15     Apr 10, 2007
  6. In a way, figures like the ones in the magazine (which I dislike) is misleading. Since in all of the 10 funds, the principal has significant amount of their own capital in the fund, so the figures included the returns on their own money, therefore inflating the income figures.

For instance, MSFT stock doubled in '99 (I know it was a good year, but bear with me), no one ever talks about Bill Gates "made" $20-30B that year, right? Take a New York case, Mike Bloomberg, with net assets of a mere $3B in '00-'01, is now sitting on $13-16B (depending on whose estimate you believe about a private firm), and yet no one talks about Bloomberg "making" $1-3B a year.

Just thought I would clear up the figures a little.

#16     Apr 10, 2007
  7. Yes, but are their methods scalable to trade hundreds of millions or billions. If you want to see extreme skill try achieving a market beating return on that kind of capital... there are a lot of very good traders that can make 100% on $1 million, much different on $500 million... I have nothing but respect for those guys, they are the Tiger Woods' of our game.

#17     Apr 10, 2007
  8. sorry but i had to ask this.

Why's it harder?...why's it not just a simple matter of buying more shares, having wider stops, or having a longer holding time?.

cm

#18     Apr 10, 2007
  9. When you have billions at work trading commodities or other things, i dont think you can just stop out at a dime without moving prices up or down depending on your position.

And, if things dont go well, it's not easy to get out too without other people trying to squeeze the life out of you ala Brian Hunter of Amaranth.

#19     Apr 10, 2007
  10. James Simons East Setaucket, New York Renaissance Technologies Corp. 68 $1.5-$2B

THIS GUY HERE SIMONS IS AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND.

HE IS THE 2ND HIGHEST EARNER SO WHAT DID THE FUND MAKE.MUST BE 3/4 TIMES THAT.

THE MOST WORRING THING IS HIS FUND DOES NOT EMPLOY TRADERS,BROKERS OR ANYONE WITH MARKET EXPERIENCE.

THEY ONLY EMPLOY QUANTS AND ROCKET SCIENTISTS.

I THINK THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT THE FUTURE IN THE BUSINESS FOR US TRADERS.

HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU EVEN BEGIN TO COMPETE WITH THAT.

#20     Apr 10, 2007