Trader job at an options market making firm

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bidask, Jun 7, 2008.

1. bidask

bidask

What do you learn at an options market making firm? I hear that the market making is done with computers, so what are you doing as a trader there? Anyone have salary info?

2. C- kid

C- kid

why are you asking about salary

why are you defeating yourself before you even start

if I am makin 125 k a month, do you think I would be asking about salary and a job

maybe your goal should be to learn to trade, ON YOUR OWN

what the hell is the matter with people now a days. every second person is looking for a firm to learn to trade

what the hell happened to OLD SCHOOL

where you park your ass in front of monitor and you learn to trade

3. rosy2

rosy2

it depends on the firm. some are more automated than others. at worst the traders are nothing more than operations, at best they manage positions. more than likely you spend time doing analysis...transactions costs, back testing, data scubbing, etc

4. C- kid

C- kid

sssooooooo you are doing everything except making money,

and you rosy2 must be one of the elite finest,

please tell me how trading made you rich, Stoke my dreams rosy..........stoke my dreams

5. cszulc

cszulc

Most firms post the bid/ask automatically, and have the computers adjust it automatically to make up for demand, stock price, etc.

When I was down visiting the CBOE floor, the market makers were busy executing the complex orders as outright puts/calls at the market were purchased/sold automatically and auto-hedged.

6. rosy2

rosy2

i am a programmer. the trading industry toda is a lot of programming.