Trader characteristics

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by knowledgebone, Mar 25, 2003.

1. There are all kinds of characteristics. The innate ones are especially good to focus upon because they come from places in life that are uncommon among people.

I think all things are cultivated as well. So on my list I added the cultivator mechanism to get them to be innate. Hard to do but why not consider it.

Heightened consciousness. Strive for consciousness as a way of life. Knowing what is going on in there and out there.

Instinctual curiousity to learn from your environment. Self informal learning as your principle way of increasing your knowledge and character.

Delvingness. To always do QA on self learning. Continually proving to your self you are learning something correctly. I know delvingness is a weird word. It implied a self starting way and depth that could be unlimited. All the other innates fit this orientation too.

Being fair. Always assessing who's job is who's. To split the total scope of the work between yourself and the market correctly. To refrain from ever doing (usurping) the market's job.

I don't think innate stuff is switched on and off either. It's always part of the picture and can even influence a lot of other pictures in the non-innate group.

Neat thread.

#11     Mar 26, 2003
  2. prox

prox

1. sheer willpower to succeed
    2. ability to analyze numbers and patterns
    3. go to 1

#12     Mar 26, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Naturally curly hair.

--Db

#13     Mar 26, 2003
  4. links

links Guest

Yes, good point Db, this is an often overlooked characteristic of a successful trader. Research has shown you have to be born with curly hair, getting it permed won't help your trading.

#14     Mar 26, 2003
  5. Ability to analyze risk

#15     Mar 26, 2003
  6. i especially like this.

this thread could have been very cliche, but it's turning out to be very good.

I think it helps to have a sense of purpose (as with any endeavor), a reason for being a part of the marketplace in this way.

#16     Mar 26, 2003
  7. 1. Discipline,Discipline!
    2. Focus
    3. Decisiveness/No Hesitation
    4. Not holding on to losers (No "Oh it will come back...I hope")
    5. Keeping emotions under control. If you just got caught short on a reversal, instead of yelling and screaming, cover and take shares up.
    6. Learn from your mistakes.
    7. Play small or stay away in quiet market, low volatility market.
    8. Goals

#17     Mar 26, 2003
  8. Mecro

Mecro

I think that a good trading environment is very important.

#18     Mar 27, 2003
  9. The doctor is IN

Other helpful assets are:

a security blanket
    your own dogdish
    a bust of Beethoven
    a great pumpkin
    a little redheaded girl to dream about

5 cents pleeeeeeease

#19     Mar 27, 2003
  10. Pabst

Pabst

That says it all in one sentence. Beyond Surfers comment it's all platitudes and cliche'.

#20     Mar 28, 2003