Trader Assistant / Clerk job in Chicago

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Econ-grad, Jul 9, 2008.

1. yeah, can't make it to london, kind of restricted to chicago right now. are arcades the same as prop firms?? can't find a list of arcades, suggestions?? any of you established traders need a clerk?!

#21     Jul 11, 2008
  2. Surdo

Surdo

I thought you were working on a gig re-writing the jingle for Eldorado's website, that didn't pan out?

Dude....get a demo account on Ninja-Trader and watch every freaking tick in ES and ZB until you find a pattern that works. Study the behavior of the markets for a few hours every day.

Take a look at the FX markets as well, FXCM has a demo, metatrader has free fx charts. Nobody is gonna spoon feed you to success.

Begging for a job on here is not going to make you a trader, do you have access to any capital?

el surdo

#22     Jul 11, 2008
  3. Trading on a simulator is a good idea.

Some will argue "paper trading" vs live money cant be compared, but I disagree..

If you lose money on a sim, dont even think about trading real money.... In other words, it keeps you from losing capital while you learn.

If nothing else, it will be a good experience to get a feel for how markets trade...

#23     Jul 11, 2008

4. Sending out blind resumes to firms probably wont work since you dont have any experience. In other words, you dont have much to offer them.

What you should do is build your network, and basically let everyone you know (family, freinds, friends of friends) that you are interested in this type of work..

Surprisingly even someone who themselves isnt involved in the industry, often has a friend or family member who is, and will get you through the door...

Also, hit up alumni..... they are a great resource.

I got my breakthrough into NASDAQ marketing making (while it existed) that way. Even though the firm I interviewed with didnt want me, the manager interviewed with knew I graduated with an employee of theirs, and he made a phone call, b/c I seemed like a stand up guy, and got hired at another shop where the managers friend worked..

(dont forget people know each other and alot of people change firms which means each person who has been in "the game" for awhile often has alot of contacts.)

#24     Jul 11, 2008
  5. Surdo

Surdo

Network...Network...and Network.....I agree!

I got my lucky break from a guy's annoying brother that was in my beach house and happened to be a NYSE member.

Hound every friend and contact you know, lawyers, doctors, ex girlfriends... eventually someone owes someone a favor and you get in the door.

good luck!

#25     Jul 11, 2008
  6. i've tried, just don't know too many folks in chicago, originally from another country, so no family out here. and as for friends, none really in chicago, just moved here after college to work as a consultant for a year. anyway, i'll keep trying. the thing is i'd do it for free if someone gave me a shot, but that first step seems like the hardest part of it all.

#26     Jul 12, 2008
  7. rosy2

rosy2

do you even know what trading at those firms really entails? all those books like market wizards or some glamorized version of a loud chaotic trading floor is fantasy

#27     Jul 12, 2008
  8. Surdo

Surdo

What other languages do you speak, get a job on a trading desk speaking your native tongue to banks overseas, you certainly are not very creative.

What do you have to offer besides annoying persistence?

#28     Jul 12, 2008
  9. yes, i know what it entails. i've been researching this for a while, if i was after the "fantasized glamor" i would have taken a trading job after college, i didn't, but now i hear my calling and have to go after it.

#29     Jul 12, 2008
  10. Surdo

Surdo

Have you ever watched a live chart or times & sales for four hours with no break? Kinda boring.

#30     Jul 12, 2008