Trader Assistant / Clerk job in Chicago

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Econ-grad, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Hello,

I'm a recent college graduate, trying to get my foot in the door at a prop firm in Chicago as a clerk. I've applied to random firms out there, but if anyone can provide some additional help, that would be great.

Thanks.

2. CL.SHAKER

CL.SHAKER

I know many of people who got their first jobs by standing outside the CBOT by the Ceres patio and talking to traders as they came out to crank butts... u never know who they know. And sorry to break it to you, but you're gonna be running tickets for a while. Prepare to get tossed around like a piece of meat.

3. don't mind getting tossed around, in fact i'm kind of expecting it at first, all i really want is for a firm to take the chance on me, i know i have the passion and desire for it. you think it would help to just hand out resumes in front of the cbot??

4. Surdo

Surdo

Nobody really uses resumes in this business, especially a CBOT floor clerk, just start talking to a few locals outside smoking and go to a few local bars. I am sure someone can suggest a bar or two.

A neatly folded resume won't hurt I guess, but a firm handshake and confidence is what will get you a clerk's job!

I was a NYSE telephone clerk for a few years before moving upstairs.

surdo

5. Do these jobs still really exists - I heard there weren't many of them left and because of this reduced demand it is very difficult to get them...?

6. Floor clerk/runners what ever you want to call them- do not really exist anymore due to the lack of floor trading-99% of trading is done on the screen now.So there is a lack of requirement for a Floor clerk.

Go watch the t-note/bond order book on a trading platform-Trading is no longer the preserve of the few. masses can now trade.

7. Outside the CBOE there is a nice courtyard with trees and a fountain. Lots of traders sit out there and have lunch, many alone. Just ask them about their job and go from there. I see plenty of runners. Trading Technologies is in my building and there are lots of runners/clerks coming in and out all day.

8. what about any sites with a list of firms?? i've contacted most of the firms people have mentioned/listed out here, but i wanted to see if i could get a list or something from the CME or one of the clearing houses perhaps?

i tried the whole sitting outside by the cbot, but it didn't quite work out the way i would have hoped it would. not many positive responses. how do most of them get their jobs anyway?

9. Surdo

Surdo

Daddy or frat brothers, seriously....try again another day at a different time, as mentioned there are not very many clerk/runner jobs these days with most volume on the screen.

10. so, how do i get behind the screen at one of those firms??

#10     Jul 10, 2008