Tradeing the ES (On Topic)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jboydston, Feb 3, 2002.

1. neo_hr

neo_hr

Guys, thanx for the replies!

OK I know this aint a simulation thread but someone mentioned it earlier and I use ENSIGNs sim mode and after a few days I must say its c***! It doesnt gap (EVER!), it always trends somewhere, moves in the same frequency and fills in the sim broker mode are say .1sec ALWAYS! Dah, very realistic...

See the following attachments of screenshots to get the idea of what im talking about.

Good trading ya'll!
    Alex

#31     Feb 26, 2002
  2. neo_hr

neo_hr

...another one...

#32     Feb 26, 2002
  3. neo_hr

neo_hr

...and another.

#33     Feb 26, 2002
  4. jeffm

jeffm

neo,
    I'm not an ensign user, but I suspect the point of their demo symbol is to give you a 24 hour always moving data feed. So you can test your indicators and studies realtime, anytime. To that end, they provide a noisy signal with a decent trend component, to satisfy both chop and trend systems. I hope they never implied that success trading their demo symbol would somehow translate into success with a real market.

#34     Feb 26, 2002
  5. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

yep ! it's only a demo. it is not meant to train on trading. although it can be used to learn discipline and positions / risk etc...

the problem with other simulators is that you don't get chart.
    other trading platforms let you simulate but only during market hours. which is a pity when you want to try new strategies.
    maybe ensign will continue to improve this feature and encourage other software to provide the same feature and better

tntneo

#35     Feb 26, 2002
  6. bozwood

bozwood

Not looking for an explanation of how you trade but I do have a couple of questions.

Do you enter at the market, with a stop, or with a limit order? And, in your experience, which way is best?

Also, do you use protective stops?

Thanks

#36     Feb 26, 2002
  7. Yannis

Yannis

I have been trading the s&p and naz e-minis for a couple years, both intraday and keeping positions overnight.

Tried several methods and settled on TCI's approach and system.

Lately, because i didn't like having a 6 pt stop loss intraday, I've limited my TCI trading to their swing trading methodology, which I like better than their intraday one.

As I was still interested in adding a different scalping system to my trading arsenal, I was looking around at the Expo in NYC a few days ago, and saw the TIMES system (Traders International). Liked it enough, thought the people were quite good and after some hesitation I bought it.

Have been trying it out ever since: forward tested it on both the s&p and Naz e-minis for the data I had (11 days) and papertraded both in real time since last Thursday. The results are very encouraging.

If people in this thread are interested in system trading, I can keep you posted as to my progress and results.

#37     Feb 26, 2002
  8. version77,

Almost every day. I started with the pit traded big S&P years ago and migrated to the mini's.

#38     Feb 26, 2002
  9. dgzadok

dgzadok

<<<< Do you enter at the market, with a stop, or with a limit order? And, in your experience, which way is best?

Also, do you use protective stops? >>>

Boz...

I enter the market with LIMIT buys or sells...

I NEVER ENTER with a market order...

I always EXIT at MARKET as price moves through my profit target of 1.50 - 2.00 pts... when I want out, I want OUT :)

Since I'm usually exiting a LONG into strength, and a SHORT into weakness, I usually catch a tick or 2 of POSITIVE slippage, but not always, and yes I will occasional lose a tick or two to negative slippage :)

I always use a STOP LOSS of 1.50 - 2.25... this is a HARD stop that I place immediately after I enter the market.

Happy Trading!!!

Dave

#39     Feb 26, 2002
  10. dgzadok

dgzadok

Here's another good day...

4 trades... ALL good for a couple of points... NO losers :)

Happy Trading!!!

Dave

#40     Feb 26, 2002