Tradeing the ES (On Topic)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jboydston, Feb 3, 2002.

1. I would like to start a thread for those of us who are currently trading the ES and would like to share and benefit from other's stories, or are considering trading the ES and are looking for more information before making the plunge.

Please keep this thread on topic. I don't want to waste my time logging back into this site to read the newest thread just to find someone telling me that I can't do what I am already doing. If you don't have comment directly related to the ES please move onto another thread.

Thank you for you time,
    Joe Boydston

2. I scalp the mini-ES 4-10 time a day, 2-4 contracts each. My goal is 2 ticks.

I use the following charts:
    5-Minute candle chart for TREND (up or down)
    1-Minute candles for buy/sell signal (with the trend)
    Tick chart for the trigger.

I use a combination of entry signals (short and long)... waiting for them to confirm each other. (usually 3 confirming signals, with the trend).

Signals I use:
    RSI peaks
    DMI Crossover
    Commodity channel
    Kirshenbaums

I chart with QCHARTS and use IB as a broker.
    Hope this helps.

3. I use the K-bands as a macro indicator, one I most rely on. I trade K-Band signals that are confirmed by RSI or DMI. And of course, I always trade with the trend.

(I have also found Engulfing candles to be a supurb confirmation, also serves to help me backout of a bad setup.)

4. I have about a 80% hit rate. I take a fixed 3-tick stop on the other 3.

I discovered this strategy while trying to swing trade/momo trade the mini-es. I found that usually I could always pull a couple ticks out of a good entry signal. But now instead of holding out for a couple points with a wide stop, I take my two tinnies and run. I haven't had a down day in 45 Days.

5. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I find that when I'm trading the futures (NQ and ES) I do better when I trade relationships and not patterns. Try to find some sort of spread I can just mentally track and use that. When there is a nice trend day the patterns work well, but other then on those days I stick to relationships.

Brandon

6. oneway

oneway

7. Jboy,

Thanks for this thread. I've traded e-minis on a limited basis with so-so results. There seems to be more "noise" than with most stocks. I think this may reflect stop running, or the different motivation of player (i.e. hedging etc...). Your results are impressive, could you please post some charts with setups?

8. Brandon

Are you talking about a short/long spread or something else?

9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I'm not talking about actually spreading (sometimes I do that, but not often enough to know if Ive been successful with it our lucky, so I won't get into how I do them). But the idea I use a lot in trading the futures is that some relationships should hold. In the morning if the Market is strong, the TICKs should be too. If they are not that gives me a bit of information. If the SPs are very strong, the DOW and Nasdaq should be too, if thats not the case, I can pick something up from that. On Friday between 9:00 and 9:20 the the Nasdaq took off but the DOW and the Sps made lower highs. Things like this are relationships that I watch.

Brandon

10. nkhoi

nkhoi

Hi jboydston,

I wasn't aware Qchart has Commodity channel, how do I find it, TIA.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Signals I use:
    RSI peaks
    DMI Crossover
    Commodity channel
    Kirshenbaums

I chart with QCHARTS and use IB as a broker.
    Hope this helps.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

#10     Feb 24, 2002