Trade with the sharks

Discussion in 'Forex' started by athan00, Dec 20, 2010.

1. athan00

athan00

ElectricSavant thanks for your answer.

Yes I think you re right. I m just actually in the phase were I m trying to combine what I ve learned all these years into trading. But I keep keep studying as well.

By the way what is the "DOM" in the Metatrader5? I ll google it anyway

Now about the sharks. What I mean by shark is Institutional Traders (they are usually the best educated & best professionals, they trade with somebody’s else money, are very highly paid, get fat bonuses, no emotions involved when trading),Fund Managers, Professional & Full time Traders, Bank traders.

About shark traps what I personally mean is for eg. when you are shorting on eurusd and you see the price reversing and you say ok its gonna come down in the first resistance but it goes higher and higher and breaks any logic resistance and price where you would place a Stop Loss. Then it just continues its way down where it was. So all this up move breaking all resistances I call it as a shark trap.

That s what I ve noticed at least on the TimeFrame I trade (15M up to 1H). Not always but very often. I believe it has to do with crowd psychology.

Of course I name myself us an inexperienced trader to judge these things. I m just still researching and thats why I opened this thread and the discussion here. Please note I may be totally wrong.

#11     Dec 22, 2010
  2. DOM = Depth of Market

#12     Dec 22, 2010
  3. athan00

athan00

Well this DOM is it trustful in forex market? I mean since there is no central forex exchange server and its broker has its own feed from different banks etc I suppose that the DOM outlook will differ from broker to broker.

Anyway does it worth studying the DOM and how to trade with it? Does it makes any difference to forex trading?

I thought that market depth was only for futures market.

#13     Dec 22, 2010
  4. DOM in FX is a rather quaint notion.

There's no good way to tell, unless it's smth big. Sometimes you can detect large flows when the mkt moves sharply for no good macro reason. For example, when HSBC was pre-hedging the Pru rights offering/AIA bid not so long ago, they did it in a particularly clumsy fashion and moved cable a LOT during a reasonably quiet period. It's obvious at such times that someone is doing something big. However, normally such events are rare and are done more gently when they do happen. There are other examples, such as month-end rebalancing flows and dodgy games arnd fixings. So no easy way to front-run them sharks, I'm afraid.

#14     Dec 22, 2010