trade what you think, not what you see PART 1

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by marketsurfer, Sep 5, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

HORSE HOCKEY!!!

Claiming you can "anticipate" the market is tantamount to claiming you can anticipate "red or black" on the roulette wheel. "A Master Trader knows HOW to anticipate & predict price movement well in advance of the move!" What a crock!

(Hope you newbies aren't listening to his bilge.)

#51     Oct 28, 2003
  2. "I think what we have here is a failure to communicate"

Cool Hand Luke

#52     Oct 28, 2003
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

you can anticitpate all you want....if the move does not go the way you anticipated ; then you must react to what you see ( get stoped out, cut ur loses before ur stop, cut or add ur position whatever ur fancy is)......or hope that the anticipated move arrives before you lose ur ass....And we all know the future cant be predicted, it just cant......but Im all ears...

#53     Oct 28, 2003
  4. Cheese

Cheese

"Trade what you see" sounds good and I have in the past agreed with that phrasing because of the obsession most have with trendlines and waves. "Trade what you see" is actually 'trade what you recognize'.. from experience and usage.

But best is 'trade what you should know' .. the parameters and pre-determinates of the given market (ie Dow). Know your market so well that the probabilities of where it goes are almost certainties.

Harvest.

Keep carefully unto yourself and prize your possession of .. the Holy Grail.

#54     Oct 28, 2003
  5. This argument might just boil down to method rather than semantics, with the momentum/trend crowd on the "what you see" side vs reversal/trend-fading crowd on the "what you think/anticipate" side.

Show me a blind trader and I'll show you a trader who doesn't trade what he sees :)

#55     Oct 28, 2003
  6. jem

jem

This is sort of funny because I had this debate with threei on a thread about year ago. I have no idea what I said then but I had an issue with the concept of trade what you see. I think after talking with threei, I thought well it is all a matter of what you name your preparation. For instance even in that vociferous defense of market surfer-- I saw elements of both sides of this debate.

#56     Oct 28, 2003
  7. T-REX

T-REX

T-REX
    Elite Member

10-28-03 11:38 AM
    Possible delayed reaction
    Great 2BC forming on your 60min variable.
    NRC day to continue until after the 2:15pm EST announcement.
    One more surprise push higher expected then a subtle retreat back into the 2BC Chnnl to resume between today and early tommorow. Not a whole lot of juice left to push prices too much higher though.

Anticipatory action:

1.) If fed leaves rates alone = prices will fall.
    2.) If fed lower rates = prices will fall.
    3.) If fed raises rates = HUGE RALLY followed by collapse.

Don't expect alot of action until then.
    If delayed reaction could see spike buying on the close.
    We will wait & see. Be patient and wait for the setup to complete before jumping in.

10-28-03 03:01 PM
    Re: Possible delayed reaction
    "If delayed reaction could see spike buying on the close".

Market is moving according to today's plan.
    Those Long the 2BC Chnnl from yesterday will want to move stop-loss to today's 2BC TopChnnl.
    Those Flat and awaiting entry signal with 2BC SCALP METHOD need to watch 60min 2BC setup RVSL trigger.

You need to subscribe to this journal If you have not already done so so that you may be able to keep current with updates. If you are watching the 2BC SCALP METHOD setups.

#57     Oct 28, 2003
  8. joe ross's statement "trade what you see, not what you think" continues to be perpetuated regardless of evidence to the contrary. the catchy myth slogan will continue to lure traders to their demise......... this is apparently why the market still works, despite numerous "trade what you see" types and bogus TA wonks.

myth buster surfer
    :)

#58     Oct 28, 2003
  9. Mvic

Mvic

i think that time frame has something to do with it too. For a very short term trader who either scalps or trades on a 5 minute time frame "trade what you see" probably works better. For traders like me with a longer time frame and a more macro view, and I assume you given some of the trades I have seen you report on ET, "trade what you think" often yields better results.

#59     Oct 28, 2003

10. I think the problem is in the interpretation of the statement.

I'm not familiar with Ross's work, but "trade what you see, not what you think" sounds more like an inadequate description (as all such descriptions must be) of Zen in trading. You could formulate the same statement as "Trade what you know", and it is merely a different piece of hair from the same dog that bit you(with all the correlated problems of description and interpretation).

My best, cleanest trades (for now, anyway) are bo's from pennants. There is no thinking, only trading what is presented to me without mediation-- an immediate response to visceral stimuli of price and volume. I have this experience with other 'setups' too, but not as consistently. It is illuminating when it happens. Perhaps this illumination is what ross is getting at.

Regards,
    Laziz

#60     Nov 2, 2003