Trade US Dollar Index on IB?

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by trader60611, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Is there a way to trade the US Dollar Index on Interactive Brokers? If so, may I ask, what symbol that would be?

2. There's a USD index contract at GLOBEX (IB: USS) but I don't think it trades.

3. You don't want to.

Its a "basket index" and is very thin.

Trade the actual pairs that real people exchange currencies in:

eur-usd usd-jpy eur-jpy gbp-usd aud-usd gbp-eur

etc to get valid movements rather than some mathematical construct.

4. Thank-you for the excellent and informative replies. I appreciate your help.

5. USD by NYBOT
    it has big size around 4 ticks wide and a couple lots maybe 2 ticks wide.

6. melo

melo

The NYBOT Dollar Index futures contract trades electronically on the ICE platform (www.theice.com), and futures and options still on the floor of NYBOT. DX is the floor symbol; on my platform the electronic symbol is IDX.

Boy Plunger is right about the US hours profile. I trade a few contracts occasionally during late Asian & European hours, and the b/a is often just one or two ticks wide.

2k to 3k is typical daily volume for the front month, the bulk of it on ICE now.

Kiwi, you trade the HSI, don't you? Isn't that a 'mathematical construct'?! (as they're about to reconfigure it again...)

If you want to express a dollar-directional view, then the DX is an appropriate contract. Plus - for some traders - it has advantages of lower volatility, tick size, margins etc.

7. In IB use the symbol "USD" and then select NYBOT. That's the Dollar Index future.

8. There is also the UUP etf.