trade statistics logger/plotter?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dchang0, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dchang0

dchang0

Hi all!

I'm looking for some software that'll collect trades (futures, stocks, whatever you feed into it), calculate daily statistics, and then PLOT THE STATISTICS ON DAILY CHARTS.

The goal is of course to improve my performance over time (without having to spend tons of time maintaining an Excel spreadsheet). For instance, one of my prime weaknesses is that I generally have more wins than losses, but my average loss is usually much higher than my average win. I'd like to be able to quickly graph the two over time--and spend most of my time figuring out how to change my execution of my systems rather than on writing Excel macros and plots.

So far, google and elitetrader searches have turned up nothing. If anyone can point me in the right direction (perhaps with the right search terms), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Yep, I've been looking for a similar product for similar reasons. I hope someone here has some good ideas.

3. Been looking for the same thing here too.

Hope someone designs something like this one day, I'm sure you'd make some money off it $$$ (Hopefully motivates some of the hardcore programmers to do something).

Question is, how would it be possible to compensate for all the different types of programs and ways of handling data.

Like for example, with the Laser platform, it will let you export trades into excel, but it is useless unless we have a way to make that data interact with data in the past and be able to record statistics from it.

Just seems like an extreme amount of work that shouldn't be necessary nowadays.

Owell, the future will behold the truth.

4. dchang0

dchang0

Well, if a software developer were to take on this task, they'd be wise to make the application modular, with plugins for the various types of trading platforms and ASCII input.

For instance, I'd like to be able to hook up this app to Ensign Windows' SimBroker for paper trading recordkeeping--this could be done by real-time plug-in to the running SimBroker or by parsing the ASCII log files at the end of the session.

And then, I'd like to be able to simultaneously record my live trades in IB's TWS--done in real time to help me make decisions about position sizing, etc. The trader could monitor many different trade "chains" separately and also combine them to show his/her overall performance. This would be especially useful when trying out different trading systems at the same time.

This could be a great opportunity for a developer to produce a full-fledged reporting/decisionmaking platform. I'd do it myself if I wasn't more interested in trading as my primary business rather than programming.