Trade Station is far worse than IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by DonKee, Nov 9, 2007.

1. ronblack

ronblack

It sounds like this is a problem with your graphics card. You probably need a high performance card. Try that first to see what happens.

Ron

#41     Nov 11, 2007
  2. le140

le140

At $140 per graphics card, I thought this is getting stupid to upgrade consider that fact that I got like 5 pcs sitting around the house now.

Again I dont know about other users, but after I upgraded to a faster pc which I thought was overkill for trading, FOMC or any openning chart had'nt frozen my futures setup at all.

#42     Nov 11, 2007
  3. ZRA

ZRA

I don't think you need a good graphic card to trade. Charting is not equal to gaming.

#43     Nov 11, 2007
  4. Aok

Aok

25,000 shares Larry.

Surinotes suggestion is especially valid if you have older computer. Just set your RadarScreen to update at the end of the interval you're scanning.

However, this is unrelated to if youre just trading one emini.

I have had no problems with stock execution. I dont know how TS has their business model structured but their futures and stocks clearing firms are separate. Maybe they're server farms are too. Futures has always been more headache prone. Beware Fed days.

#44     Nov 11, 2007
  5. This makes sense and the high variance in the set-ups of each user's workstation probably explains the variance in the experience. Since it appears that Tradestation does NOT send a sampled tick data stream like ThinkorSwim and Interactive Brokers, it would seem that a less-than-worthy workstation would freeze-up during explosive emini moves.
    If Tradestation Securities was on the "up and up", they should be warning all new futures users that a minimal set-up is required to trade eminis without freezing at times.

#45     Nov 12, 2007
  6. THIS SAYS IT ALL:
    https://www.tradestation.com/Discus...=62906&SearchTerm=windows 2000&txtExactMatch=

It's not the HARDWARE, It's the Operating System.
    Win/XP far worse than imagined.

#46     Nov 12, 2007
  7. Tradestation gives you 1.1% interest on your cash balance, and that's on the amount over $10,000! It's stone cold thievery, but people are stupid, and will part with all that interest (over $1000 per year on a balance over $30,000. ) compared to money market rates of 4%+ that you get at most other brokers.

#47     Nov 12, 2007
  8. DonKee

DonKee

just to update:

1) Went back to 8.2

2) Took matrix order entry off

Yesterday during high tick period (last 30 minutes), I did not have a freeze.

Seeing the above reference in the TS forums regarding "matrix" order entry, I have concluded that both 8.3 and using "matrix" is a cpu "hog".

Okay, so far, so good. We'll see how it goes.

If you are having problems, I urge you to link to the previous posters' reference to the TS forum. It was an extensive analysis of the problem and please, note the date it was posted. Also, note, nothing has really been done to remedy it, that I could find.

#48     Nov 13, 2007
  9. Since you did TWO things at once, how do you know the problem is really the 8.3 version vs. the matrix ?
    For instance, if you removed the matrix from 8.3, would the freezing also have stopped ?

#49     Nov 13, 2007
  10. DonKee

DonKee

you are correct, but i have seen so many forum complaints regarding 8.3 being "buggy" that i went back to 8.2.

you are correct, i don't know if it was an 8.3 problem.

#50     Nov 13, 2007