Trade in spare time or go to trading firm?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by prj, May 8, 2019.

1. prj

prj

Hi, I'm currently practicing trading at home in spare time aiming to build up a good track record and join a prop firm or go full time. Sometimes hear that it has nothing to do with trading in a team with professionals. Is it a good idea to start as a trading assistant in a firm instead of doing it on my own? If so, how would you advise to approach to it, and what pay attention to?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

If you are looking to be hired by a traditional prop firm, this is not the right path. If you want to join a prop firm where you can trade part time but your cash is first loss, they take anyone that is not a criminal and only care about your volume.

3. ha, good one. This is perhaps the most opinionated post of yours I have seen ;-)

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I'm not a fan of most JBO prop firms. The exception would be if they can offer technology you can't get on your own. E.G hosting or MM capabilities.

FSU likes this.
  5. can't agree more. Still, lots of epic stories at some of the past and present prop firms such as Bright Trading...

6. qlai

qlai

Far from an expert here, but my take on it is you will most likely pick up many bad habits and spend lots of time chasing your tail. So if you are young, I would say being near professional traders is priceless.

Let me say this as well to help you make your decision. I was listening to a podcast with a well known psychologist Batt Steenbarger and he said something like
    "Make sure you adopt your trading to your life ... Do not adapt your life to trading.". Very good advice, imo.

prj likes this.
  7. dozu888

dozu888

become profitable first.... money will find you.

prj likes this.
  8. prj

prj

Thanks for the answer, but what exactly do you mean by bad habits? I'm in late 20's

9. qlai

qlai

It's often much harder to teach someone with experience than someone completely new. It's like if you learn to play sports (tennis, golf, etc) by trial and error and hire a professional coach. He will be like ... OMG, who taught you to play like that!?

10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i trade in the mornings mostly from my shop in solitude, i focus and do ok.

#10     May 9, 2019