Trade Deficit

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Anecdotally I can verify that is true. I know a Mexican lawyer there who actually represents corporations in Mexico and he said that the laws there regarding workers' rights and labor laws are vague at best. He admitted to me that most corporations are expoitative...

#41     Feb 5, 2007
  2. I rarely have time to visit the economics forum anymore, but it is a welcomed experience to read a good discussion about economic systems and social perspectives. Thank you.

A very good piece was written on "global imbalances" not long ago which I hope will bring a different picture to many here regarding this subject.

Would care to hear comments too.

Enjoy.

http://www.cid.harvard.edu/cidpublications/darkmatter_051130.pdf

#42     Feb 5, 2007
  3. xeelee

xeelee

So because of those benefits they make $150.00MB cars (whatever that is) AND have a higher standard of living than the US? wow.

#43     Feb 8, 2007

4. Well, it takes a skilled and happy/content worker to make $150,000 Mercedes Benz (hence MB). Now if you provide excellent benefits, good salary, employment stability, there is a much greater probability that your workers will work better. Just look to what is happening to VW since they moved some of their factories to Mexico. I guess, if you are going to pay $10 a DAY, your workers will not be as productive as if you would have paid them $40/hour.
    If you think that Germans have a lower standard of living than Americans then you are simply not well informed. Go, visit and then compare. I know both countries fairly well, and Germany beats us in many departments.

#44     Feb 8, 2007