Trade at least once a day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lemeeeplay, Dec 15, 2009.

1. dfwgal

dfwgal

I trade when the trade presents itself. Never force yourself to make a certain amount of trades a day. IMO that is just stress not needed.

#11     Dec 16, 2009
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

By adhering to such arbitrary guidelines, you are either limiting yourself, or trading too much.

Depends on the strategy you've become comfortable with. Sometimes it's 10 trades one day and zero the next. For others it's 300 trades one day and 450 the next. (automation helps). And there's nothing wrong with doing a trade once a week if that's what you are comfortable with.

Just my 1 1/2 cents.

#12     Dec 16, 2009
  3. nope. I might not trade for days, weeks.

It is all about waiting for the opportunities. Anyone who things you have to trade everyday to make a living is wrong.

Trading for the sake of trading is foolish.

But that does not mean I am just sitting on my ass idle.

I am analyzing things, planning out opportunities, doing research looking at the Bloomberg and markets etc.. Working out things paper and pencil etc..

#13     Dec 16, 2009
  4. plyka

plyka

Do not trade even once per day. Follow this rule as closely as you can, and if you have a good enough edge, you'll turn out just fine.

#14     Dec 17, 2009
  5. Trading doesn't require practice, its not a sport or something. You either have an edge or you don't, no amount of practice without an edge will make a trader profitable.

#15     Dec 17, 2009
  6. Yeah same here, I too have a very unpleasant experience when I tried to trade out of boredom (when there was clearly no setup), I lost a lot of money on that trade, it was basically just gambling and I deserved to lose. That was 2 years ago, but I still remember it because that was, and still is my biggest drawdown to date.

#16     Dec 17, 2009
  7. This whole thread proves that ET no longer has members who trade for a living, mostly they are managing their long term portfolio, swing traders who have a "normal" job or simply retirees with nothing better to do with their time.

#17     Dec 17, 2009
  8. I agree there is no specific amount of times you should trade. You have to find what works best for you.

#18     Dec 17, 2009
  9. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

how about practice being patient for the right opportunity.

i wouldnt class my self as either a day trader or a position trader. why?

i start a position with the short term goal of a day trade, but if the position is still showing good probability then i'll keep hold of it until that probability looks less favourable. that could be in 10 min, 1 hour, 4 hours or 2 days. i admit it's quite rare to hold overnight for me, but it does happen.

#19     Dec 17, 2009
  10. What you mean its not like going to the Gym and working out :)

#20     Dec 17, 2009