Tradable options on futures

Discussion in 'Options' started by TradingPilot, Dec 21, 2016.

1. I'm interested in learning more about options on futures but many products have no liquidity or horrible spreads. Does anyone have a list of tradable options on futures?

Thanks!

2. xandman

xandman

TradingPilot likes this.
  3. Um let's see. ES options are damned liquid, for one.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

What the hell are you looking to trade. Commodity options are shattering new volume records every month.

5. Nothing in specific Maverick. I know a lot of the CME products are liquid but for example OJ options are not so good. I just wanted to know if anyone had compiled a list of good products to trade across all the major derivative exchanges.

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Let me guess. You just watched "Trading Places" recently on TNT? :) I just re-watched it a few days ago. FWIW, OJ futures are not that liquid nevermind the options. Here's a general rule, the more liquid the futures, the more liquid the options. So if your next example is Lumber Futures, also not liquid in futures and therefore the same for the options.

TradingPilot likes this.
  7. Merry New Year!"
    [​IMG] o_O:)

viruscore1 likes this.
  8. I suggest that you visit the CME's website and review the Daily Exchange Volume and Open Interest data that the exchange offers for free. The link is http://www.cmegroup.com/market-data/volume-open-interest/exchange-volume.html.

You will note that the E-mini options all have a fair amount of Vol and OI on a daily basis especially on the equities the ES, YM, and NQ contracts. Also take a look at interest rate, currency and energy options.

Since you want to know more about futures options I also suggest that you read-

*Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives by John C. Hull
    *Derivatives Essentials: An Introduction to Forwards, Futures, Options and Swaps by Aron Gottesman
    * A Complete Guide to the Futures Market: Technical Analysis, Trading Systems, Fundamental Analysis, Options, Spreads and Trading Principles by Jack D. Schwager (2nd. Ed. due 1/2017)

Best

TradingPilot and CBC like this.
  9. maverick74 don't be an ass, his question is valid, its hard to find liquid futures, I only use CL, GC, ES SI is good too, but 25.00 i tick smokem if you gotem on SI

10. OPPS! sorry Maverick74 i Didn't Read Your all you post before I replied

#10     Dec 21, 2016