Tracking multiple strategies

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by tonyzhou, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hi,

I want to have a easy way to track my multiple strategies, their performance. Currently I am using Interactive Brokers account and all the strategies are in one account. However, I do not know the exact performance for each strategy though the overall seems good. Do you know if IB has some inherit feature that can support this or any third party software can do this? For example, when I enter an order, I can give it a tag and then I can track the performance of all the transaction with the same tag? Thank you for your reply in advance.

2. I think the order references show up when you download trades to Excel. Maybe you can track them like that? Manually mark each order with a strategy name then sort them that way.

I don't think this is something you can do in TWS.

3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

We offer our clients the opportunity to create sub accounts to monitor P & L of either different strategies or different traders.

Bob

4. OK, very simple. Our traders just use the provided DDe links (Direct Data Exchange) - into a basic Excel spreadsheet. You can manipulate each trading type into a separate page. Viola' list each strategy.

Don

5. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

What if you are trading three strategies, and each one includes common securities?

Bob

6. Then you may want to re-think the "why" of the strategy... i.e. when you long KO, short PEP, but want Long Wen vs. Short KO, you may want to replace it.

But, for openings, as an example, you just pull out the "opg" order types into a single spreadsheet.

Don

7. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

We both know trading is not that simple. Both strategies could use SPY as a hedge, as one example. That's why sub accounts are cleaner, especially if you are looking to view returns and raise money for that strategy in the future.

Bob