TOYOTA: Electric Cars Not Ready For Prime Time

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Sep 24, 2012.

1. The Volt's range in electric mode depends largely on two things: (1) terrain; (2) weather (heating and air conditioning).

On flat terrain with no air conditioning or heating running in the car my wife gets about 36-37 miles range in all electric mode.

On hilly terrain with air conditioning or heating running that drops to about 25-26 miles in all electric mode.

In mixed driving, it's about a 30 mile electric range.

My wife gets about 900 miles per gallon of gasoline that she puts in the car, but that's because her schedule fits the capabilities of the car. She drives the kids to school and does errands in the morning which is roughly a 20 mile round trip. Then she comes home and charges the car and tops off the batteries before she goes to pick up the kids. On a typical day she doesn't burn any gasoline.

We've met other Volt owners who are happy with their car, but it's because they can charge up during the day. In our area a number of businesses have installed electric chargers in their parking lots so employees can drive to work and let their cars recharge during the day before the drive home.

Bottom line: The Volt works for us, but if we needed a 60 mile electric range I wouldn't buy one.

#11     Sep 24, 2012
  2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Sounds like you have the 220 volt charging setup.

I've read it only costs about $1.00 - $1.50 per charge and takes 3-4 hours to fully charge at 220 volts.

#12     Sep 24, 2012
  3. A 220 volt charge takes about 4 hours if the battery is down to the bare minimum. The last time I did the calculation I think it was $1.44 for a full charge.

#13     Sep 24, 2012